mtbr member
    Apr 2013

SRAM X7 not downshifting correctly.

I tried to search, but my search-foo didn't turn up anything for my problem.

I have a new Trek Xcal with an X7 rear deraileur that has been working fine until yesterday when I was riding. It upshifts fine, but shifting down into 3rd from 4th it gets stuck in 4th and just clicks and doesn't move the chain over enough to get on the gear. I can skip 3rd and get to 2nd no problem. However I have the same problem going from 2nd to the big 1st. Sometimes I can play with the shifters and get it to go in gear.

It was a little greasy out so there could be some mud somewhere, but I rinsed it out with a garden hose after the ride and it still does it. My other thought is that I caught a stick between the wheel and the deraileur and it might have bent it out just a touch.

I'm by no means a bike mechanic, but I'd love to learn how to set this up instead of taking it to the shop every time I bang something up. Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Take the chain off and operate the shifter to see if it moves across the full range of the rear cassette. The cog on the derailleur should line up with each gear on the cassette.
    If it does then your problem is probably chain related give it a clean.

If it doesn't then first undo the cable to the rear mech and push/pull the Derailleur to make sure if moves across the full range of the cassette.
    If it doesn't then this may be the fault.
    If it does then chances are the cable has stretched or it has come loose and just needs setting back up.

Final check. Pull the end of the derailleur forwards and back wards whilst stood behind the bike. Does it move parallel. If it doesn't then the hanger is probably bent.
    MTB:
    09 Stumpy Elite
    10 Enduro Pro Custom
    16" HotRock Custom

Road:
    08 Jamis Xenith Comp
    13 Pinarello Dogma 65.1

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks! I tried all of the above and I believe the derailleur was tweaked just a little bit. I had to go in town anyways, so I took it in to the shop to see what they said. They adjusted the L and H screws to move it over a touch and now it shifts great.