Thread: sram x7 help

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

sram x7 help

I am mounting x7s on my bike. I have to run a new cable. the booklet says to "gently" unscrew the little rubber/plastic screw and push the cable old cable out through the opening. the little rubber/plastic screw is so soft im afraid to try to unscrew it. any tips when removing the little bugger or what to do if/when it turns to much? or do most people simply undo the four little alen screws adn remove the whole bottom cover of the shifter to do a cable swap?

Thanks in advance.

Currently un-unemployed
    Quote Originally Posted by tim0825
    I am mounting x7s on my bike. I have to run a new cable. the booklet says to "gently" unscrew the little rubber/plastic screw and push the cable old cable out through the opening. the little rubber/plastic screw is so soft im afraid to try to unscrew it. any tips when removing the little bugger or what to do if/when it turns to much? or do most people simply undo the four little alen screws adn remove the whole bottom cover of the shifter to do a cable swap?

Thanks in advance.
    Have you tried to unscrew it with a screwdriver? The cap has a thread pitch similar to a wood screw and usually comes out after a single revolution. It should be very easy to remove and is hard to damage. It's just there to plug the hole, nothing more. When re-installing it, just snug it, it doesn't hold anything together. If it isn't replaced or gets lost, the cable is just exposed to the elements, nothing will fall apart.

To remove the cable and install a new one, you will also need to shift into the smallest chainring/cog position on the given shifter to access the cable head. HTH.

-R

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I have now TRIED to remove it. i used the right size and style screwdriver, but it just stripped the head. I may have put too much preasure on the screwdriver as i attempted to unscrew it. I think I may have to unscrew the four little alen bolts to take the bottom cover off so i can get the rubber screw out.

Professional lurker
    you don't want to take it apart, unless you want to figureout how to put it back together!

It can be done (unlike Shimano) fairly easily, but I don't reccomend it.

Pry the little sucker out of there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks I got it. I got them out by screwing a wood screw into the head of the plastic srew that was buggered up and just pulled it out. I then figured I could remove the plastic screw from the other shifter easily now. Nope, no matter how careful and gentle I was it simply wouldn't turn unless I applied enough force to mess up the head of the screw. So i just skipped ahead to using the wood screw to remove that one too. But in good news, my new cables are in and I'm using those little pink pencil errasers to plug the holes. stupid plastic screws.

banned
    Sep 2005
    I had the same problem with my girlfriend's X.9s (old model X.9s) and I ended up ripping the damn plugs out with needle nosed pliers.