Thread: Sram x4 to x7

mtbr member

Sram x4 to x7

I'm currently have an x4 RD, x4 shifters and a unknown FD on a 2x8 setup. After researching the difference in the rear derailleurs I decided to go upgraded to the x7 along with an x7 front derailleur. Now I'm still going to be running the x4 shifters. Will these shifters affect the rear derailleur performance in anyway? I have not searched much on the difference between shifters. So if anyone can help me out that would be great.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    x7 shifters should be much smoother.
    But upgrading also means you are going for more than 8speed in the back? Then you will have a compatibility issue...

mtbr member
    All the stuff that I have is for 8 or 9 speed. So if I do change the shifters then I'll also be bumping up to a 9 speed. More or less I'm looking to see if it is worth upgraded it right away or holding off for a bit and just run the x4 shifters a while longer.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    You might get away with using 8sp shifter on a 9sp rd, buten it's not optimal. The front is much less critical

mtbr member
    Since you're running 2X8 and want to upgrade, have you considered 1X10?

You would have most of the gears you have now with the reduced weight and less cost(maybe) and less maintenance. You need a cassette and chain anyway and a single new X7 shifter will give you noticeable performance. Might be able to use one of your chain rings but if not you can pick up a single with chain guide for about the same or less than a FD and shifter

mtbr member
    You won't have a problem using X4 shifters with an X7 Derailleur.....same cable pull. Don't worry about it......However, your shifting performance will be greatly enhanced by higher end shifters.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leech73 View Post
    You might get away with using 8sp shifter on a 9sp rd, buten it's not optimal. The front is much less critical
    Just to clarify the x7 RD I purchased is compatible with either a 8 or 9 speed set up.

Since you're running 2X8 and want to upgrade, have you considered 1X10?

You would have most of the gears you have now with the reduced weight and less cost(maybe) and less maintenance. You need a cassette and chain anyway and a single new X7 shifter will give you noticeable performance. Might be able to use one of your chain rings but if not you can pick up a single with chain guide for about the same or less than a FD and shifter
    No that had never even crossed my mind. This all just came out the blue. I had planned on staying with the x4 then I started looking into it. At this point that is just something I would have to consider in the future being that I have already purchased everything but the shifters.

You won't have a problem using X4 shifters with an X7 Derailleur.....same cable pull. Don't worry about it......However, your shifting performance will be greatly enhanced by higher end shifters.
    Thanks, that's what I needed to know. Well then for the time being I will continue with my current shifters. And start shopping around for some new shifters. Now are the x5 any better or should I stay with x7 and higher?

turtles make me hot
    My 8 year old son is riding 1 x 10 X7. I set him up with a 34 toothj single up front and an 11-36 10 speed cassette, X7 med length derailleur and right side X7 shifter. Works great and didn't cost an arm and a leg.
    I like turtles

Huckin' trails
    One of my bike came with SX4 shifters and SX5 rd. Busted the rd 2 years ago, and now running the latest 9spd X7 rd along with X4 shifter (ditch the granny in front). Until I get a killer deal on a 2012 or more recent X9 9 speed rear shifter, and a 9 spd mid-level cassette, imma keep enjoying this well-working, low-cost and reliable setup. Yes I could get a better, crispier shifting using a higher-end shifter, but why throw away a shifter and cassette just for that ? Anyway X4 shifters aren't mean to last a life-time, so they'll probably crap out in a few seasons. Until then I'm putting my money on a carbon wheelset.

My $0.02
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Bicycle Addict
    You should wait and get something a little better. X4 to X7 isn't much of an upgrade in my opinion.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing