inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011

SRAM X0 rear derailleur

So I picked up the Sram X0 drivetrain and so far I'm loving it. I've heard good things about it from people that ride the same area that I do but I realize I take the area a little bit more to its potential, I guess you could say. I've learned that the majority of the parts can take a little bit of a beating, but the weakest part is the rear derailleur. I've got a medium cage one, and I have heard that this detracts from some of the problems people have with it, which is the cage breaking on it. I am unsure of whether Sram handles this sort of thing, as they could easily mark it off as rider abuse. Most of the trails I do are all mountain styled riding and the biggest drops I do would be 4 feet, most of them having a smooth landing. The furthest I go on a jump is about 10 feet, maybe a little more.
    I'm wondering if I should just take off the rear derailleur and put an X9 on there before I break it if it really is that fragile. I hope I didn't make a mistake in getting this, as I just got it the other day. Numerous people from where I ride have recommended it, and I believe that they know what they're talking about, but I wanted some more opinions.
    I really do enjoy the shifting capabilities of running 2x10 and although I like the little bitty weight savings, I don't mind so much. I would rather put the X0 away and put on an X9 if it means avoiding breaking the X0.
    I have heard that the newest models have a bit stronger cages, but I can't confirm this.
    I also believe that some of the negative feedback on these have been of people who believe they can get an expensive rear derailleur and want to throw the bike around a bunch and find out that isn't the case and are somehow disappointed. Then again, I'm sure a good group of people have probably had problems too.

nocturnal oblivion
    XO is a bit over the top for most riders (do you really need CF bits on your derailleur?). As for the breakage though I'd see it caused by a rock strike most likely.
    I ran a long cage XO rear derailleur and never had a problem though.
    So if you have trails with tall rocks that could graze your rear derailleur as you weave through them it might be a fine idea, but again personally I've never heard of them breaking.
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

mtbr member
    is SRAM better than Shimano? or are they about the same?

mtbr member
    SRAM is better than shimano, boo-yah!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CoppellStereo View Post
    SRAM is better than shimano, boo-yah!
    Sram is better for the rear derailleur IMO.
    Shimano is better for frnt derailleur and cassettes. Again IMO.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by WhtKnightGdHart View Post
    is SRAM better than Shimano? or are they about the same?
    edit: both have the capability to produce low end and high end parts. In my experience, Sram has better products for the price point. Someone could easily say the opposite though, so again- all opinions. (I keep on stating it is all opinionated to avoid any ''hot'' debate on what is better)

It seems to be a very opinionated debate between which company is better. As the quote bellow says, "IMO" as he recognizes it is a very opinionated statement as to which is better.
    Quote Originally Posted by veritechy View Post
    Sram is better for the rear derailleur IMO.
    Shimano is better for frnt derailleur and cassettes. Again IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by stumblemumble View Post
    XO is a bit over the top for most riders (do you really need CF bits on your derailleur?). As for the breakage though I'd see it caused by a rock strike most likely.
    I ran a long cage XO rear derailleur and never had a problem though.
    So if you have trails with tall rocks that could graze your rear derailleur as you weave through them it might be a fine idea, but again personally I've never heard of them breaking.
    I didn't really need the Carbon parts but I was getting the 2x10 so I figured to get the whole setup. There aren't very many rocks that will smack it, so I think it will be fine.
    If you check on the rear derailleurs for X0 in the review category of the website, you'll see people talking trash on the X0 rear derailleur. I found two different X0 rear derailleur review sections though, so one could easily have been for the older models which apparently had more problems.

Thanks for the help everyone.
    Last edited by ehigh; 07-18-2011 at 11:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Have had a first gen X0 d on various bikes for 6 years

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    A few months later I do understand why some people complain about Sram. The return spring for the jockey system failed. Fortunately, it was replaced by Sram. However, I did put it through a hell of a beating in Vancouver Island and a lot of serious and larger jumping around here. The new one I have has been doing well and has been taking possibly an even greater beating. Personally, I enjoy it-but it failing that one time was annoying.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

My XO problem - cable breaking

2011 rear XO 10 speed derailleur. The cable broke at 310 miles then again 250 miles later where it comes out of the cable housing and bends around the derailleur before bolting in. It doesn't seem like [I]that[I] sharp of a bend, but I guess it is. Wrote the first break off to a cheap cable, but the second break was with a very expensive cable. Anyone else experience this?