Thread: sram X shimano

mtbr member

sram X shimano

anyone actually tried making sram 1:1 stuff work with shimano? either sram der + shimano shifter or vice versa?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

There's a reason...

Quote Originally Posted by drunkle
    anyone actually tried making sram 1:1 stuff work with shimano? either sram der + shimano shifter or vice versa?
    that bike shops won't sell the 1:1 sram with shimano shifters...the ratio of shimano is 2:1(or is it 1:2?) and mathematically it doesn't work. That shouldn' t stop someone who doesn't believe in math from trying though. :-)

Chrome Toaster
    It won't work. The precise pull ratio's are 1.7:1 for shimano and 1.1:1 for sram. Each pull will not line up corectly with the cogs.

Freshly Fujified

One caveat

SRAM makes a line of shifters with the 2:1 ratio, designed specifically to work with Shimano rear derailleurs. I believe they are called Rocket shifters.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    i didn't quite understand what 1:1 meant, kept thinking "hey, the cassette is the same width, what's the deal?" but i think i realize now that the derailleur itself is designed with different motion geometry.

thanks

AKA Frank N. Bike!!
    Actually it has alot to do with shifters as well. Shimano's shifters pull more cable per shift than SRAM shifters do.
    My Bike: '03 Specialized HardRock FrankenBike
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

Chrome Toaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197
    Actually it has alot to do with shifters as well. Shimano's shifters pull more cable per shift than SRAM shifters do.
    The other way around. Shimano 9 speed shifters pull 2.5mm of cable for each 4.35mm cog jump. That's a ration of 1.7:1. Sram pulls 4mm for the 4.35mm jump giving it a 1.1:1 ratio.