Thread: SRAM X-9 Woes

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

SRAM X-9 Woes

about 2 years ago I bought a new set of x-9 twist shifters and a rear mech for a hard tail that I rarely use. I've ridden the bike maybe 1/2 dozen times in that period. I've never been able to get the drive train to quit making noise in position #2. When it gets dirty, which happens fast off-road, it ghosts. I've replaced the entire drive train (crank set, cassette, chain...) with no luck. atmo, I'm a decent wrench who rarely has trouble dialing in a drive train. It's my opinion that I got a bad shifter out of the box because it hasn't worked correctly since day one. My problem is that I now live 3000+ miles away from the lbs where I bought it and the warranty policy specifically states all warranty returns must take place at original place of purchase. So, I'm willing to write it off.

The question is, do I chalk it up as an isolated incident and buy another set of SRAM twist shifters or move on and replace em with XTR shifters and go back to triggers?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    check your derailer hanger, if its a problem. if there is still a problem it is probably with the shifter.