In my mind, I can do it!

SRAM X.7 and X.9

Sorry if this has been asked before. Is the X.7 component group very similar to the LX and the X.9 very similar to the XT in performance? Is there a noticeable difference between the X.7 and X.9 as far as the shifters are concerned?

Thanks

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by iviguy
    Sorry if this has been asked before. Is the X.7 component group very similar to the LX and the X.9 very similar to the XT in performance? Is there a noticeable difference between the X.7 and X.9 as far as the shifters are concerned?

Thanks
    The x.9 on my Norco is much much better than the XTR I currently have on my Kona Coiler. Much crisper shifts, and doesn't go out of adjustment as often.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by iviguy

Thanks

yep, x.7 is about lx level, x.9 is about xt level. x.9 is slightly lighter, a little nicer construction, sealed bearings in the pulleys. something most of us won't even notice while riding. both come in a longer/shorter cage size, too.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Its got what plants crave
    I'd say X9 = XTR.

XO is a step above XTR in my opinion.

Cheezy Rider
    I've read that the shifters are the same, except the X9 has metal rather than plastic levers. I'm using X7 shifters, no complaints.

The X9 derailler has sealed bearings instead of bushings. I think the X7 comes only as a long cage, not positive about that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    I'd say X9 = XTR.

Considering the price of the '06 X0, it better be more than a single step better that XTR .
    Last edited by jpick915; 02-14-2006 at 02:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    I'd say X9 = XTR.

sorry buddy, x.9 is not = to xtr

x.9 (r/d) are a lot less durable then xtr,xt,lx stuff...

How often have you seen a snaped shimano r/d ?
    Sram is also more expensive, but IT DOES shift better, because its easyer to tune with the 1:1 ratio, but a well tuned xt or xtr r/d will shift like an x.9 if setup properly

Its got what plants crave
    I rode Shimano for years before switching to SRAM. Shimano's quality has gone downhill IMO. I've broken my share of Shimano deraillers, and one XO.

XO is a cut above XTR in just about every way, and it should be considering the incredible price tag.

The devil is an angel too
    Quote Originally Posted by Megaclocker
    sorry buddy, x.9 is not = to xtr

x.9 (r/d) are a lot less durable then xtr,xt,lx stuff...

How often have you seen a snaped shimano r/d ?
    Sram is also more expensive, but IT DOES shift better, because its easyer to tune with the 1:1 ratio, but a well tuned xt or xtr r/d will shift like an x.9 if setup properly
    Yes, X9 is, if anything a bit above XT and below XTR. Same with X7, maybe a bit above LX, below XT.

About durability, it seems like SRAM has(had?) some issues with QC with the X9 rear ders. I'm still not convinced that the derailleur snaps are due to poor design. Two things, one, there are a lot of people that have been riding them for a long time, no problems; two, you don't hear the same about X7's -same basic design. My 2 pennies.

No questions about the durability of XT, though. And, when properly adjusted it shifts as well as X9. It just seems like it is harder -for the average user- to get an XT dialed in properly. Also, it would seem that XT -and Shimano's in general- require adjustments more often than SRAM derailleurs.
    Art is the most intense mode of individualism that the world has known.

Oscar Wilde