mtbr member

New question here. SRAM X.7 vs. Shimano Deore XT?

Hi,
    First, are these two component classes considered equal? Or is SRAM X.9 the Deore XT's "equal?"
    I'm looking to upgrade my base Deore Rear Derailleur and am considering an X.7 or X.9 (with shifters) vs. a Deore XT Rear.

Any insights or real world performance comparisons out there?
    2015 Specialized FATBOY Easton Carbon Seatpost SRAM X7 Triggers
    2014 Specialized CRUX PRO SRAM 2x10 Force, CG-R Post

Chrome Toaster
    X.7 would be roughly equivalent to LX and X.9 to XT. Performance is pretty much equal among the respective lower and higher end parts but the higher end ones tend to have better construction (less plastic) on some parts.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    The XT is compatible with your current shifters. The LX is just as nice. The SRAM is better than either, but you will also have to buy new shifters.

The differences are only very slight, given equal maintenance.

Go with the LX.

willtsmith_nwi

SRAM is solid ...

For less trouble, go with SRAM. The 1:1 actuation ratio is less prone to error than the 2:1 of the Shimano. SRAM is a "set it and forget it" system.

Harky
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by willtsmith_nwi
    For less trouble, go with SRAM. The 1:1 actuation ratio is less prone to error than the 2:1 of the Shimano. SRAM is a "set it and forget it" system.
    I agree w/ willsmith...I've run the XT and XTR (2 differrent bikes)..both worked OK for awhile but were prone to ghost shifting that could not be cured with adjustment...I gave up!
    I changed over to X9 and X0 and have run them for an equivalent time (over a year) and no problems!

lurker no more
    I've been using 8 speed x.7 triggers with a x.9 rear derailleur (11-32t) and a XT front derailleur (24t/34t/bash) w/o problems. Love it so far. Shifts precisely and quickly.

willtsmith_nwi

stretch and crud ...

Quote Originally Posted by harky
    I agree w/ willsmith...I've run the XT and XTR (2 differrent bikes)..both worked OK for awhile but were prone to ghost shifting that could not be cured with adjustment...I gave up!
    I changed over to X9 and X0 and have run them for an equivalent time (over a year) and no problems!

Cables stretch and crud gets in the lines. Sometimes the insides of the cable housings will corrode and snag the cable. In all situations SRAM 1:1 actuation ratio will have exactly half the index error as an equivalent Shimano system.

There is nothing wrong with Shimano. In fact, for "smoothness" of shifting you probably cannot do better than Rapid Rise / low normal derailleurs for the sheer fact that you're not allowed to force a downshift. SRAM is more robust ... PERIOD. If you're tired of messing with your shifters barrel adjuster, get and X series shifter/derailleur combo and forget it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    question is first, what are you upgrading - shifters or derailleurs? I use sram x7 with XT front and sram 8 speed rear shifter (its the 2:1 sram make for using with shimano) with XT rear and its really good.I like the sram shifting and cant really see a diff at the other end and didnt want to chuck good XT derailleurs. THe rocket or attack (cant remember which I have) is xt level, the other lx.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pspycho
    Hi,
    First, are these two component classes considered equal? Or is SRAM X.9 the Deore XT's "equal?"
    I'm looking to upgrade my base Deore Rear Derailleur and am considering an X.7 or X.9 (with shifters) vs. a Deore XT Rear.

Any insights or real world performance comparisons out there?

Upgrading the Deore rear derailleur to XT is a good move. Functionally the XT is superior to the LX and more robust.

Now XT vs X.7 or X.9 is a hot debate and fueled by the following:

Claims that Shimano:
    1. ghost shifts
    2. does not remain set
    3. has a higher margin of error in set up

Unfortunately what many users don;t know is that all of these problems are easily rectifiable but your LBS wants to sell you new parts don't they.

Ghost shifts are usually due to too short a cable housing , bent rear derailleur hanger or even a sticky chain.

setting of shimano derailleurs is pretty easy. It all revolves around makin sure there are no kinks in the wire cable anywhere and making sure everything is clean. too many times i have seen cables picked off the floor and then refitted into your brand new housing

The set up namrgin of error is a moot point really because the drift is not related to the cable pull but to the degree of wear in the housing, cable stretch. Settling of the cable ends will affect the adjustment as well but this has nothng to do with cable pull since the pull ratio related to movement in the shift mechanism and resultant derailleur movement. So unless the shifter is wearing out, Actuation ration has nothing to do with setting drift.
    Shimano may experience more settling due to wear inside the loop in the housing. If you're using Shimano SP41 housing and full length then the wear takes a long time to occur.

It ypically only replace outer housings once a year and in that time the adjustment requires maybe 2 or 3 tweaks.

I found that my SRAM shifters required the same amount of tweaking.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all of the well versed replies. I'm leaning towards XTR as I can pick one up on sale for $72.00 (Non Rapid-Rise) model. Next task will be to swap out my Alivio Shift/Brake Lever combo (and a new wheelset...).

willtsmith_nwi

Nice price ... but ...

Thanks for all of the well versed replies. I'm leaning towards XTR as I can pick one up on sale for $72.00 (Non Rapid-Rise) model. Next task will be to swap out my Alivio Shift/Brake Lever combo (and a new wheelset...).
    $72.00 is an excellent bargain for an XTR derailleur. Unfortunately, it probably will not improve your shifting at all without better shifters. The indexing is in the shifters. When in doubt, you should be using higher end shifters than derailleurs.

For a little more, you could get both an X.7 derailleur and shifters at Pricepoint for $90.

http://pricepoint.com/detail/12862-1...leur-COMBO.htm
    http://pricepoint.com/detail/13492-1...leur-COMBO.htm

An X.9 setup will cost you about $120.
    http://pricepoint.com/detail/13076-1...leur-COMBO.htm

As long as you're switching, you might as well shift to a better standard (1:1 actuation ration).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by willtsmith_nwi
    $72.00 is an excellent bargain for an XTR derailleur. Unfortunately, it probably will not improve your shifting at all without better shifters. The indexing is in the shifters. When in doubt, you should be using higher end shifters than derailleurs.

For a little more, you could get both an X.7 derailleur and shifters at Pricepoint for $90.

An X.9 setup will cost you about $120.

As long as you're switching, you might as well shift to a better standard (1:1 actuation ration).
    Thanks - I shop PricePoint all the time. Good recommendations, but I want trigger shift vs. grip.

Last question: Assuming I purchase new Shifters (better indexing), I can purchase either a new XTR Rear (Non Rapid Rise) for $68.00 or a new SRAM X.9 for $64.00. Any ideas/recommendations?

willtsmith_nwi

Priceoint has both ...

Thanks - I shop PricePoint all the time. Good recommendations, but I want trigger shift vs. grip.

Last question: Assuming I purchase new Shifters (better indexing), I can purchase either a new XTR Rear (Non Rapid Rise) for $68.00 or a new SRAM X.9 for $64.00. Any ideas/recommendations?
    Pricepoint has x.9 triggers with x.9 derailleur for $134.
    http://pricepoint.com/detail/12826-1...leur-COMBO.htm

Personally, I would skip on the XTR as Shimanos are all 2:1 acutation ratio AND the Shimano springs are REALLY weak. They all have major chain slap. I am biased toward SRAM for shifting and that is what I recommend. If you asked about cranks I would recommend Shimano over Truvativ (SRAM).

An XTR will not give you "smoother" shifting unless it is Rapid Rise. This is because the Rapid Rise derailleur does not allow you to "force" the chain onto larger cogs as you can with a traditional derailleur. In other words, on a high-normal derailleur you can bypass the shifting ramps if you REALLY need to do a hard downshift.

Beyond this, the "smoothness" of the shift has to do with the cassette, the chain, the b-tension adjustment and your shifting technique. Any derailleur will do. The differences come in when it comes to issues of toughness, weight and resistance in the jockey wheels.

There is no doubt that XTR is tough and light. But a non rapid rise derailleur will not help with the "smoothness" of your shift. I have heard tell that Shimano cassettes teamed with Shimano chains are the "smoothest". But you make certain sacrifices in the versatility of your drivetrain to accomplish this.

For the record, I'm partial to Shimano cassettes as they're tougher. I personally feel the SRAM cassettes shift smoother. I like SRAM chains because each one comes with a powerlink.

banned
    The new Truvativ OCT cranks look promising for sure.

But I rode the SRAM x.7 stuff from 2003 and it was great. I still have it, used it for a week then my bike broke. I'm waiting to get a geared bike to use it on.

mtbr member
    Thanks.

I ordered an SRAM X.9 on Wed. and a new PG-970 Cassette (might as well upgrade to 9 speed). I'll be ordering a new set of trigger shifters and brake levers (Avid 7s) next week.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    For clarification:

Sram shifters that work with shimano rear derrailures include
    -rocket series
    -attack series

Sram shifters that will NOT work with shimano rear derrailures include
    -X7 trigger and twist
    -X9 trigger and twist
    -XO trigger and twist

For recommendation:

Personal preference is to run sram X series over shimano. I have used both extensively. Gripshift for shimano, shimano triggers, shimano dual control, X7 triggers, X9 twisters, XO twisters.

The learning curve for X series triggers in almost instantaneous when comming from shimano triggers.

Good luck.
    Grammar and spelling errors are complementary.

mtbr member
    RESULTS!!

I did the upgrade Tues. night (the 26th) - all by my lonesome...
    New X.9 Rear Derailleur, X.7 Trigger Shifters, and Avid Ti SD Levers. What a difference from the base Deore Derailleur. Shifts are crisp and I love the new set-up. Have to get used to shifting with my thumbs only, but it's not a problem. I also like being able to downshift 1, 2, 3, or more gears at a time - very cool. Bike's really dialed in now and I'm really enjoying it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I have not actualy seen a sram shifter. How does it function? thumb shifting only? Someone please explain.

Harky
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JonBoy
    I have not actualy seen a sram shifter. How does it function? thumb shifting only? Someone please explain.
    www.sram.com
    ...check
    the stuff out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I have seen pictures of them just not in person. My guess is you push one lever to go to larger gears like shimano, and press upward on the other lever to go to smaller gears? is there any big differences in model years?

mtbr member
    Actually, the shifting takes a bit of getting used to. Thumb for both up and down shifts (keeps fingers free for braking). Reach up and in to upshift and low/close (like Shimano) to downshift. Other benefit is that you can downshift multiple gears at once depending on how far you depress the shifter. Also, travel is only 1mm vs. 2mm. on Shimano (1:1 ratio). Results in crisper, less travel shifts and ability to upshift quicker.

Chrome Toaster
    Also, travel is only 1mm vs. 2mm. on Shimano (1:1 ratio). Results in crisper, less travel shifts and ability to upshift quicker.
    Actually you've got that wrong. Cable travel is 2.5mm for shimano and 4mm for Sram. Shimano has quicker shifting and shorter shift stroke.

local trails rider
    Thumb for both up and down shifts (keeps fingers free for braking). Reach up and in to upshift and low/close (like Shimano) to downshift
    That is why I wanted Attack triggers to go with the Deores on my hard tail. My new big bike has X7 and it feels good. Just shifts faster than the Deore.
    After adjusting the seat, the next thing I did to the new bike was move the shifters about half an inch away from the SD5 brake levers, to keep them from crowding my thumbs. Now it feels right to me.