mtbr member
    Aug 2006

SRAM X-7 upshifting "skip"

I have the 2006 X-7 trigger shifter (front), and when I release tension on the shifters (upshift?), it "skips" the middle ring. This has started happening when I lowered the front (x-gen) derailleur, and it has become very difficult to shift.

When I go into the third gear (largest chainring), and I hit the release button, it does the usual cha-ching of dropping a gear... but then it does a "tink" and drops the first gear.

I suspect the tension may be too great for the shifter... but isn't it the spring at fault( too stiff)?

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Ummm...why did you lower the....

front derailleur? Was the position it was in causing problems? If not return the front d to it's original position! What you are experiencing is an adjustment problem. If you moved the derialluer without loosening the cable first you put additional tension on the cable. Anytime you move the front derailleur up or down you need to loosen the cable and do a complete retune, reset high and low limits and re-tension the cable. If you need instructions go here, http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/sram/...MTB_MY05_E.pdf The set up for the Xgen starts on page 14.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Someone told me the front D was supposed to almost touch the outer chainring... the biggest problem was the chain was rubbin when i was on the biggest front and biggest rear (i.e 3 -> 9)... I wanted to rotate it. Now it paradoxically rubs in the middle front chainring.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The problem was not the changer. The problem is, that you are or were cross chaininig. Three ring setup are not designed to handle that. If you are in your big ring, you do not want to go any higher than say 6. (Three down from the top) And the same goes with the granny gear. You do not want to be in both little rings at the same time.

The last thing, the Sram X-Gen has a narrow cage compared to Shimano. So you will have this happen more frequent with Sram than Shimano. That be said, I run the X-Gen and love it. Just try to span such a large range of gears and you will be fine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Oh... ok. It's just a convenience issue... when I'm in the largest chainring I'm usually on roads and going up a hill, so using the rear D is faster. Is it true that a lower front D always has better shifting?

And it still does "skip" even not under cross-chained conditions... the cable tension is intense.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Ahhh, now it becomes clear.....

You didn't mention that you were trying to do the big ring up front and the small in the rear. That is considered and extreme gear combination for any drive train. aridese is correct. My suggestion would be to move the derailleur up a bit. The recommended height is from 1 to 3mm clearance then set the outer top edge of the derailleur cage parralel with the chain rings. You can get away with a bit of rotation to kill noise in extreme gear combos with some of the cheaper shimano derailleurs, but it's kind of silly as you shouldn't be using those combinations anyway. And as you've discovered is does affect shiting performance. I've got two different 9speed drive trains on two different bikes and the chain will rub the inside of the front derailleur cage when in the big ring/big ring combination and one will rub in the small/small combo as well. Both shift perfectly, I just can't use extreme cross combinations. But then you really shouldn't use them anyway right! So put it back the way it was and retune it. You'll be fine.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    May 2005
    One last thing, if you have a 44t big ring, and 32t is largest ring on the back, that is almost the same gear ratio as have your chain on the middle ring, and 7th chain ring in back.

This will have a lot less strain on your drive train.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I still don't see how lowering/raising the derailleur effects the tension SO MUCH that it would click through a shifters detends by itself... =/

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by aridese
    I still don't see how lowering/raising the derailleur effects the tension SO MUCH that it would click through a shifters detends by itself... =/
    What can I say, small amounts of cable movement can hurt your shifting. simple as that.