mtbr member

SRAM X-7 or Shimano LX component group

Which is better? The drawback of the SRAM is that it doesn't have a crankset.

I was wondering just how entry level these groups are. Where do Shimano Alivio, Acera, and SRAM X-4, X-5 stand if the LX and X-7 are considered "entry level"?

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by djork
    Which is better? The drawback of the SRAM is that it doesn't have a crankset.

I was wondering just how entry level these groups are. Where do Shimano Alivio, Acera, and SRAM X-4, X-5 stand if the LX and X-7 are considered "entry level"?
    SRAM does have a crankset...its called Truvativ and the FireX GXP crankset would be the X-7 level.

LX and X-7 are not "entry level"...they are mid level components that share much of the technology of their more expensive components (XT, XTR, X-9, XO). Actually a mix of the two is my preference.

I would (and do) prefer SRAM shifters and rear derailleur, Shimano front derailleur, chain, and cassette. Either crankset is good

mtbr member
    Design-wise, I like the X-7 rear derailleur but do not like the shifters. In the process of building a bike, or rather stripping a base-model bike and putting on some respectable parts. Think I'll go for the LX group simply because I have some spare Shimano components. Already have a an LX rear derailleur; it's not as cool looking as the X-7 though.

I was always under the impression that LX is entry out of the LX-XT-XTR group, with XT being mid-grade and XTR being high-grade. Same with SRAM's X-7, X-9, and X-0.

On a side note, how come most bikes come with components that are below LX and X-7? And not just base models but bikes in the "comp" or "disc" range of the model.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by djork
    On a side note, how come most bikes come with components that are below LX and X-7? And not just base models but bikes in the "comp" or "disc" range of the model.
    Well as mentioned before, LX and X-7 are not entry level. As far as 9 speed components go, the order is Deore, LX/SLX (for 2009 LX is a trekking group and has been replaced by SLX), XT, XTR and for SRAM X-5, X-7, X-9, X.O. respectively.

It is common for manufacturers to spec the rear derailleur higher than the rest of the components. Its a little marketing trick because consumers often look at the rear derailleur first when checking specs.