willtsmith_nwi

SRAM x-7 question ...

I've got a SRAM x-7 derailleur.The problem I'm having is that the cable keeps coming free from from the currved blad that's supposed to hold it in line. Anybody have this problem and figured out a fix???? It's really pissing me off having to stop and put the cable back into the slot of the "blade".

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by willtsmith_nwi
    I've got a SRAM x-7 derailleur.The problem I'm having is that the cable keeps coming free from from the currved blad that's supposed to hold it in line. Anybody have this problem and figured out a fix???? It's really pissing me off having to stop and put the cable back into the slot of the "blade".
    There is a hole on the end of loop, have you threaded cable through that?

willtsmith_nwi

NO hole

Quote Originally Posted by markom
    There is a hole on the end of loop, have you threaded cable through that?
    There is no "hole" on the pointed "blade" (at least on my derailleur). There is only a groove that runs the length of that part. It terminates at the screw to hold the cable.

My cable keeps popping out of that groove. I WISH there was a guard there with a "whole" to run the cable through. I wouldn't have the problem then.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The arrow marks where the cable casing should enter the derailluer. Then just the cable goes around the guide to the fixing bolt.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I bike; therefore, I work

willtsmith_nwi

Duhhhh!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by VT no 1 2 or 3
    The arrow marks where the cable casing should enter the derailluer. Then just the cable goes around the guide to the fixing bolt.
    Yes, I put the cable housing in the little whole you pointed out. The problem is that the cable keeps popping off the slotted cable guide. I have to stop periodically to push it back on. Everything else is in place where it should be.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sounds like a defective derailluer. From the picture of the X-7 looks like you could make a "guide" around the cable "channel" using a zip tie.
    I bike; therefore, I work

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by willtsmith_nwi
    Yes, I put the cable housing in the little whole you pointed out. The problem is that the cable keeps popping off the slotted cable guide. I have to stop periodically to push it back on. Everything else is in place where it should be.
    A couple of stupid questions.....
    Is the cable tight??
    Are your housings in good conditions (say, the cable goes back and forth clearly)??

I just can't find any other explanation other than the derailleur is somehow stuck and does not move back enough...

You're not using Shitmano shifters, are you???
    Check my Site

willtsmith_nwi

Zip Tie??? that's what I thoughts ...

Quote Originally Posted by VT no 1 2 or 3
    Sounds like a defective derailluer. From the picture of the X-7 looks like you could make a "guide" around the cable "channel" using a zip tie.
    Well, that's what I thought until I tried it. Because of the "blade" shape of the cable guide, the zip tie just falls off the end. There is nothing for it to adhere to.

mtbr member

Thats wierd

I just looked at my X-7. It has a hole about half way around the grooved "blade" that holds the cable in place. My X-7 is all black too unlike the picture. I don't really see how the cable would stay in the guide at all without being in the whole because the metal that makes up the hole would be in the way. I used to have an esp 9.0 rear derailleur that had the guide bent out of shape on it and I simply adjusted the barrel adjuster on the shifter so it would work while the cable was permently out of the f-ed up guide slot thing. After a while the cable sawed a new guide groove thing into the metal.
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My X.7 also has the small hole about halfway around the bend. I did miss it when i first installed it, and wondered why it didn't seat in the groove. It was rolling off the small bulge created by the cable hole. If yours is missing the hole, it may need to be returned.

willtsmith_nwi

I suspect it's an older model ...

Quote Originally Posted by MTBrewer
    My X.7 also has the small hole about halfway around the bend. I did miss it when i first installed it, and wondered why it didn't seat in the groove. It was rolling off the small bulge created by the cable hole. If yours is missing the hole, it may need to be returned.
    I got it second hand in trade for computer work. I think it may be an older model without a device to keep the cable from popping off.

In principle, tension SHOULD keep the cable seated in the groove. However, if you drop a bunch of gears, that will create quite a bit of slack in the cable. It can take the derailleur a bit of time to catch up.

I might try to fashion my own cable retention "slot" using electrical tape. It doesn't need to be strong. It just needs to keep the cable from popping out. For that matter, that portion of the cable doesn't even move so I could goo up the work with no worries ;-)