mtbr member
    Apr 2010

SRAM X-4 Derailleur Replacement

I have an almost broken X-4 7/8 speed mid-cage derailleur on my 7-speed Hardrock. I can't find a mid-cage replacement DR anywhere and I was wondering what my options were.

Can I replace it with a Long cage DR? Do I have to add chain length if I do that?

Can I replace it with an X-7? From what I understand, it's the shifter that matters in gear selection and the derraileur shouldn't matter. Is this true?

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by GDubT
    Can I replace it with a Long cage DR? Do I have to add chain length if I do that?

Can I replace it with an X-7? From what I understand, it's the shifter that matters in gear selection and the derraileur shouldn't matter. Is this true?

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.
    Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, I just did

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Haha, thanks man.

I just ordered an X-7 mid-cage for the same price as an X-4 and cheaper than an X-5, go figure.

Hopefully this will work.

mtbr member
    I'm going to be switching out my Hardrock drivetrain bits for Sram x7/x9 stuff myself, big improvement especially when paired with a pg980 or better cassette and a new crankset.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.