Thread: Sram X.0 or X-9

mtbr member

Sram X.0 or X-9

I am looking to upgrade my Shimano XT rear derailleur to a sram x.0 or x-9. Just so you know, I have Sram Attack shifters. I was wondering if these parts are compatible?

Also, I'm relatively new to downhill biking but not to biking in general(used to BMX a ton) and I need to know what the differences are in cage lengths and what would be best for a downhill bike. FYI, I am going to be racing come spring/summer. Thanks for your help.

jbf
    mtbr member

X.9 - and the Attack shifters will NOT work

X.9 is a fantastic derailleur. The price difference does not make sense unless you have excess cash burning a hole in your pocket. That said, I just upgraded from X.9 to last years model X.0. I'm not a big fan of the carbon cage on the '06.

Do as I say, not as I do.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbf
    X.9 is a fantastic derailleur. The price difference does not make sense unless you have excess cash burning a hole in your pocket. That said, I just upgraded from X.9 to last years model X.0. I'm not a big fan of the carbon cage on the '06.

Do as I say, not as I do.
    Maybe I do have some extra cash just burning a hole in my pocket....wait, nope, that's just lint Thanks for the advice.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    cage length depends on the gearing (ie: tooth difference):

(big chainring teeth - small chainring teeth) + (big cassette teeth - small cassette teeth)
    eg: (44-22) + (34-11) = 45t

*long cage: max 45t
    *medium cage: max 37t
    *short cage: 30t

X.0 is more durable, with forged alloy parts, but at a price. and if you damage it...ouch. X.9 functions just as well under normal conditions, just not as tough, and not quite as light; still an excellent RD.

for the record, i have both, but i don't do DH, just XC.

as for compatibility, not sure.

[size=1]
    - Giant NRS Composite - Giant XTC2 - Giant TCRCzero - Giant OCR1 -
    [/size]
    [size=1]- nothing stock here - move right along now -
    - Geelong area, Australia -
    [/size]

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by speedyg55
    I am looking to upgrade my Shimano XT rear derailleur to a sram x.0 or x-9. Just so you know, I have Sram Attack shifters. I was wondering if these parts are compatible?
    the SRAM attack/rocket shifters are compatible with RDs having a 2:1 wire-pull ratio - e.g. shimano RD's.
    the SRAM RDs have a 1:1 wire-pull ratio, so your attack shifter won't fit any SRAM RDs.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the help guys, I just have one more question about cage lengths. I have an 11-32 cassette and a 39 tooth(i think) chainring(9 speed) would you guys suggest a medium cage or a long cage? And is there going to be a performance difference?

mtbr member
    Thanks for the help guys, I just have one more question about cage lengths. I have an 11-32 cassette and a 39 tooth(i think) chainring(9 speed) would you guys suggest a medium cage or a long cage? And is there going to be a performance difference?
    Using the math from the other post

32 -11 = 21

Front ring(s) are ignored since it is fixed ratio, and makes the calculation pointless or am I missing something?

http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/..._4_3__7_04.PDF

Cannot comment on the performance difference when new, but which do you think is going to live the longest on the trail?

mtbr member
    You shuld be able to run the Medium,with your set up.
    Similar questions are here X0 2006 Cage...Small..Medium or Long ??

Depends on the amount of chain growth for you bike, fit it and cycle the swing arm to check or just be careful with your gear selection.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I just have one more question about cage lengths. I have an 11-32 cassette and a 39 tooth(i think) chainring(9 speed) would you guys suggest a medium cage or a long cage? And is there going to be a performance difference?
    didn't understand my post? can't see why the shortcage wouldn't be ideal with your 1x9 setup, although X.9 is medium/long-only.

in addition to a minor weight advantage, people report snappier shifting quality (ie: better) with the shorter cages. i've not tried one, so can't confirm.

[size=1]
    - Giant NRS Composite - Giant XTC2 - Giant TCRCzero - Giant OCR1 -
    [/size]
    [size=1]- nothing stock here - move right along now -
    - Geelong area, Australia -
    [/size]

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone for your help. Shiny- I understood your post but I did the math and got way over 45t with my 9 speed setup I thought I might need an xxlong cage for my bike jk but thanks again everyone.

Cheezy Rider
    If you really want the X9, you can save some coin and get X7 triggers for it. They work very nice together.

banned
    I'd like to add that langlen is wrong.

Rocket shifters: 2:1 ratio
    Attack shifters: 1:1 ratio

Either that, or my SRAM x.7 is a weird 1:1 pull derailleur.

banned
    Feb 2004
    Rocket shifters: 2:1 ratio
    Uh....I'd like to point out that Standard325 is wrong. Both Rocket and Attack shifters are 2:1 ratio. Check the website if your convictions are that strong about it.

Either that, or my SRAM x.7 is a weird 1:1 pull derailleur.
    Yeah, actually, your X.7 is a 1.1 pull.

Check your info before you point out that you think someone is wrong.