mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Sram X.0 crankset - outer bolt damaged

Hi,

I need some advice from you guys.

On Friday I removed the crankset from the bike. I didn't read the instructions properly and before successfully removing the cranks with the inner self extracting bolt (8mm) I tried to remove the outer one (10mm). The problem is that the manufacturer of the bike (Canyon) or Sram must have used blue loctite to lock it in. And I basically badly rounded the outer bolt trying to get it out. Impossible.

The self extracting system still works like a charm, but I'm wondering what I shall do.

What do you guys suggest? Is there any reason at all why I may need to remove the outer bolt in the future? Or can I just leave it as it is and not worry about it at all?

Thanks for your precious advice

Regards

Marco

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Well...barring unforeseen circumstances, you'll never need to remove the self-extractor cover.

However, if it really bothers you (or becomes an issue, for whatever reason) you should be able to remove it either with a very large easy-out type extractor (which would be rather large, and would need to fit exceedingly well) or attempt cutting/grinding it out with a rotary tool. You would then need to find a replacement for it, and to be honest, it probably isn't worth the time and effort unless the fixing bolt shears/strips.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    Well...barring unforeseen circumstances, you'll never need to remove the self-extractor cover.

However, if it really bothers you (or becomes an issue, for whatever reason) you should be able to remove it either with a very large easy-out type extractor (which would be rather large, and would need to fit exceedingly well) or attempt cutting/grinding it out with a rotary tool. You would then need to find a replacement for it, and to be honest, it probably isn't worth the time and effort unless the fixing bolt shears/strips.
    what he said
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/