Thread: SRAM upgrade?

mtbr member

SRAM upgrade?

I've got a Giant Yukon hardtail (bought in July) that is basically stock except for a Serfas performance saddle, Marz EXR fork, and Shimano M-520 pedals. It's a great frame that fits me well, but needs some replacements on the drivetrain.

The chain has gone beyond the critical 1/16 inch stretch, so that along with the 8-speed rear cassette and middle chain ring have to go. However, the crankset is a crappy Truvativ Isoflow, so I'd rather just get a new crankset and BB to match. Also, the front deraileur is a brutal Acera that really doesn't work well and when it does it rubs in a few gears. The rear is Deore.

I'm thinking of this SRAM X.9 upgrade below to 9 speed along with Race Face Evolve XC, X-Type Crankset for the cranks. A package deal that seems to be about what all the online retailers are charging. I guess it would save on shipping and taxes to get it online from one shop. It's around $300 for all of this no matter where I look.

http://www.greenfishsports.com/index...OD&ProdID=1007

Is this a good setup for this bike? Is it overkill? I'm not too mechanical, so what is a good price for an LBS to install this? The X.7 isn't really much cheaper. I am getting married soon and have lots of upcoming costs, so I need to conserve and can't get a FS for at least 8 months. I'm really enjoying the bike and think this could totally change the whole feel and improve the ride.

Thank you in advance for your time and replies.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    cost aside, it is a great upgrade. X.9 will totally cr@p all over your current stuff for shift quality, let alone build quality and weight.

RF evolve XC cranks are very decent for a midspec component, and won't be the weak link in your setup.

X.7 functions just as well as X.9 but won't be as durable or light. there's more plastic and pressed metal (as opposed to cast alloy). the jockey wheel bearing on the RD are not sealed on the X.7. however, it's cheaper, and it is perfectly good for recreational riding. however, if your riding takes you onto singletrack and anything more demanding than just flat firetrail/bike tracks, you'll appreciate X.9 over the long run.

i figure you've got the component list sorted, but just in case, you'll need:

*9spd cassette: consider 11-34 instead of 11-32, particularly if you aren't super fit and want a really 'granny' granny gear for steep/long hillclimbs
    *RD
    *FD: the X-Gen is not without some issues, albeit minor: chain rub on extremes of ratios; not an issue with most, but an excessive narrow cage width can impact; when it works, it works really well and definitely better than the Acera
    *chain
    *trigger shifters: no outer cables will be included (presumably) so ensure your current ones are in good condition; they will be compatible
    *crankset: presumably includes the necessary spacers to fit the 68mm BB shell on your frame (brand new BBs usually have them)

it looks the goods; just the cassette to consider.

regarding weight, you won't notice any significant overall improvement to the bike. my gf had a Yukon '05 Aus-spec and it was heavy, mostly because of the frame (Aluxx rather than Aluxx SL) and wheels. but the shift quality and extra ratio will be a huge improvement.

[size=1]
    - Giant NRS Composite - Giant XTC2 - Giant TCRCzero - Giant OCR1 -
    [/size]
    [size=1]- nothing stock here - move right along now -
    - Geelong area, Australia -
    [/size]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiny_car
    cost aside, it is a great upgrade. X.9 will totally cr@p all over your current stuff for shift quality, let alone build quality and weight.

RF evolve XC cranks are very decent for a midspec component, and won't be the weak link in your setup.

X.7 functions just as well as X.9 but won't be as durable or light. there's more plastic and pressed metal (as opposed to cast alloy). the jockey wheel bearing on the RD are not sealed on the X.7. however, it's cheaper, and it is perfectly good for recreational riding. however, if your riding takes you onto singletrack and anything more demanding than just flat firetrail/bike tracks, you'll appreciate X.9 over the long run.

i figure you've got the component list sorted, but just in case, you'll need:

*9spd cassette: consider 11-34 instead of 11-32, particularly if you aren't super fit and want a really 'granny' granny gear for steep/long hillclimbs
    *RD
    *FD: the X-Gen is not without some issues, albeit minor: chain rub on extremes of ratios; not an issue with most, but an excessive narrow cage width can impact; when it works, it works really well and definitely better than the Acera
    *chain
    *trigger shifters: no outer cables will be included (presumably) so ensure your current ones are in good condition; they will be compatible
    *crankset: presumably includes the necessary spacers to fit the 68mm BB shell on your frame (brand new BBs usually have them)

it looks the goods; just the cassette to consider.

regarding weight, you won't notice any significant overall improvement to the bike. my gf had a Yukon '05 Aus-spec and it was heavy, mostly because of the frame (Aluxx rather than Aluxx SL) and wheels. but the shift quality and extra ratio will be a huge improvement.

Thanks for the advice. I just ordered the upgrade through Jenson because they had the 11-34 cassette and the 170 crank arm instead of the 175.

Can't wait.