Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 58
  1. #1
    Bigger is better!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    682

    SRAM Type 2: Does it prevent chain drop with 1x10?

    To the people with actual riding time on the new Type 2 derailer:

    Does it keep the chain in place on rough terrain by itself, used in a 1x10 setup? Or do you still need a chain guide like e.g. the e13 XCX?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    222
    This came up when Shimano released the new XTR Shadow with the clutch. From what I recall, a few claimed it worked, but then others later reported that they still ended up with occasional drops, though probably less. I wasn't brave enough to try it, so went with a guide on mine. This is why I'm finding the new XX1 so interesting.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    71
    I rode an enduro race over the weekend and saw a few riders with the new type 2. Most of them were running a chain guide but only the top part. I looked like some of the riders removed the bottom wheel of the chain guide.

    Over the last three months I broke an mrp g2 and an E13. Both of the tacos cracked where the idler wheel is located. I'm going to try to run the type 2 only using the top part of the chain guide.

    I order to run no chain guide at all on rough terrain a total system like the new 11 speed xx is necessary. The 11 speed system can be used with no chain guide (Iíve seen it in action!), but I did notice that the new s works enduro is equipped with the 11 speed and a guide, I guess for some extra safety.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ktm520's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,250
    I've got 3 rides on my type2 x9 running 2x10. Considering it doesn't completely eliminate chain slap, I wouldn't trust it without an upper chain guide imo.

  5. #5
    Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Reputation: scrublover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,456
    Quote Originally Posted by ktm520 View Post
    I've got 3 rides on my type2 x9 running 2x10. Considering it doesn't completely eliminate chain slap, I wouldn't trust it without an upper chain guide imo.

    This.

    I've had one ride on mine, and it works very well, but I'd still not trust it without something up front. I'm running a bash/XCX setup - the XCX has been cut down for the cage to work with my bash.

    Super quiet, no chain drop, no need for a lower roller.

    YMMV, because it obviously depends on what your trails are like, and how you ride them.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

  6. #6
    I do what I want
    Reputation: Guy.Ford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,015
    Quote Originally Posted by ktm520 View Post
    I've got 3 rides on my type2 x9 running 2x10. Considering it doesn't completely eliminate chain slap, I wouldn't trust it without an upper chain guide imo.

    Agreed Chainguides are still the best all around solution to stop dropping chains.

    Funny thing, I recently had a sales rep from one of the bikes companies try to tell me that their bikes dont need ISCG tabs, because the new type2 rear der's eliminate the need for chainguides. Even went so far as to tell me that Mark Weir doesnt even use them anymore - OMG that made me laugh so hard.
    Guy.Ford

    I'm not really an @sshole, I just act like one online.

  7. #7
    Barfed
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    32
    Another vote for running a guide. Shadow+ and type 2 are awesome but I had terrible luck with my XTR shadow+ rear mech sans guide. XCX with it has been perfect.

  8. #8
    Bigger is better!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    682
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll have problems running a guide due to a funky chainline, so I was hoping that a type 2 would do the trick by itself...

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    222
    This has always been my battle with guides. They're all made for the standard stock chainlines of modern outboard bearing/crank systems. To get better shifting, I always mess with my chailine to bring it in as much as possible, either with spacers, or I've even used older narrow square taper BB/cranks. The guides never have enough adjustment available. Pauls is the obvious exception, but I've had spotty luck with those. My best solution so far is the Rohloff guide...had the 2 posts machined down a few mm by a machinist friend to allow it to move in enough. I've tried many, but when I need it to actually work, that's the one I go to.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: unkosama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    26
    Finally got one and have it all setup on my cyclocross bike. I used to run the standard X9 on my cross bike last year, so I have a direct comparison. On the old X9 dropping the chain would occur 50% when quickly shifting a few times. With the new X9 Type-2 I did not put my MRP chainguide on and took the bike to a rocky debris basin last night. All attempts to drop the chain failed. I am going to go on a long dirt ride this afternoon and see if I can drop the chain by shifting gears while on a really bumpy road at high speed.


  11. #11
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,480
    Those of you just using the JUST a top guide sytem, what are you using to protect the chainring? I see some folks are going bashless. Living in the desert SW, that is just not an option for me.

  12. #12
    dwt
    dwt is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dwt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,967
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Ford View Post
    Agreed Chainguides are still the best all around solution to stop dropping chains. .
    I'm partial to bashwhich. Most reliable IME.

    But, inner bash does not clear chainstay on all bikes, and my bashwhich is not exactly quiet.






    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

  13. #13
    GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Reputation: NoahColorado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,863
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    Those of you just using the JUST a top guide sytem, what are you using to protect the chainring? I see some folks are going bashless. Living in the desert SW, that is just not an option for me.


    We have this guide coming out next month - the AMg (All-mountain Guide). I pushed this concept through because I found for a lot of my riding here in the desert a top only guide and Shadow+ were working quite well - but like you I wanted to protect my chainring. I started using a 1x seat tube clamp mount guide and an XCG - but it looked clunky and was unecessariy heavy. Fixed that.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

  14. #14
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,480
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post


    We have this guide coming out next month - the AMg (All-mountain Guide). I pushed this concept through because I found for a lot of my riding here in the desert a top only guide and Shadow+ were working quite well - but like you I wanted to protect my chainring. I started using a 1x seat tube clamp mount guide and an XCG - but it looked clunky and was unecessariy heavy. Fixed that.
    Nice work. In the mean time. A hack saw is going to make my old LG1 look just like that.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    386
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post


    We have this guide coming out next month - the AMg (All-mountain Guide). I pushed this concept through because I found for a lot of my riding here in the desert a top only guide and Shadow+ were working quite well - but like you I wanted to protect my chainring. I started using a 1x seat tube clamp mount guide and an XCG - but it looked clunky and was unecessariy heavy. Fixed that.
    I'm going to be getting a Shadow+ derailleur and was originally going to pick up the G2 as my bash/guide. But this sounds like it'd be even better if the Shadow+ works as it should, I like the idea of not having the lower guide. Will this be offered in the old ISCG mount? Any details on pricing? Thanks in advance!

  16. #16
    GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Reputation: NoahColorado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,863
    Quote Originally Posted by mayonays View Post
    I'm going to be getting a Shadow+ derailleur and was originally going to pick up the G2 as my bash/guide. But this sounds like it'd be even better if the Shadow+ works as it should, I like the idea of not having the lower guide. Will this be offered in the old ISCG mount? Any details on pricing? Thanks in advance!
    Great!

    The AMg will be offered in ISCG, ISCG-05, and BB-mount options. $99 for alloy, $150 for carbon. 28-32t and 32-38t sizes. Both should be available around late November.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    386
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    Great!

    The AMg will be offered in ISCG, ISCG-05, and BB-mount options. $99 for alloy, $150 for carbon. 28-32t and 32-38t sizes. Both should be available around late November.
    Awesome, just in time for Christmas!

  18. #18
    hold my beer & watch this
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    114
    no, some sort of guide is needed.
    I have a bashwich on mine and it works great. Had one on my last bike and never dropped a chain (5 years).
    Was a tight fit on the inner bashguard, had to mill the small chainring mounting pads off by .090" to make sure I had frame clearance. This also put the inner guard in a better position - right close to the front chainring, but not so close that the chain rubs on it when in the large ring on the rear.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    32

    widget?

    Other than cost, is there any problem with running a widget? Seems clean and simple to me.

  20. #20
    dwt
    dwt is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dwt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,967
    Quote Originally Posted by daniel harvey View Post
    Other than cost, is there any problem with running a widget? Seems clean and simple to me.
    Do some searching in this forum. Some folks say they are a bit fragile, which is too bad because as you say, they are clean and simple. Plus have 28T and 30T chainring options, good for bigger than 26" wheels


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    32
    thanks, I'll do that search.

  22. #22
    wuss
    Reputation: dropadrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,363
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    Do some searching in this forum. Some folks say they are a bit fragile, which is too bad because as you say, they are clean and simple. Plus have 28T and 30T chainring options, good for bigger than 26" wheels


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A bit fragile is an understatement... But last time I checked the did seem to have a new stronger version. The original folded if it just saw an obstacle coming.

    It really did keep the chain on, had a good chain line, was easy to get 28t and was light though.

    If the stronger version existed when I got it I might consider another, but it's not cheap and the whole thing needs to be replaced when it wears out, also it does not prevent chainslap, actually if you move to a smaller chain ring you might actually get more chainslap as the chain rises closer to the stay.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fix the Spade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,428
    Quote Originally Posted by langen View Post
    To the people with actual riding time on the new Type 2 derailer:

    Does it keep the chain in place on rough terrain by itself, used in a 1x10 setup? Or do you still need a chain guide like e.g. the e13 XCX?
    No, not even close, if it does you're not riding fast enough...

    #ahem#

    The concensus on clutch mechs is that they make the bike quieter and help reduce chain slap. They do not stop the chain from jumping, unless you never, ever turn the cranks backwards and always stay in the centre cogs.

    If you're riding a full suspension bike, I highly recommend a lower guide as well as a top.

  24. #24
    just ride
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    629
    I have Type2 X9 on my 26" HT 1x10 (32T niner ring, 11-36 Sram, 10 spd xl KMC chain). No drop chain so far but I also do not trust sprinting on it while going over bumps. I will be getting the Paul's chain keeper, just incase.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ColinL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,281
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    No, not even close, if it does you're not riding fast enough...

    #ahem#

    The concensus on clutch mechs is that they make the bike quieter and help reduce chain slap. They do not stop the chain from jumping, unless you never, ever turn the cranks backwards and always stay in the centre cogs.

    If you're riding a full suspension bike, I highly recommend a lower guide as well as a top.
    I've had great luck with a Blackspire Stinger and a SRAM type 2 RD. I have my chainline 1mm outboard at the cassette, stock up front (2x10). It never drops a chain and I can shift front and rear simultaneously.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •