Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryandurepo View Post
    i had chain drop issues on my 2x10 setup up front too through rough braking bumps. had new chain on there and my chainrings werent terrible and my fd was adjusted good. I put an x0 type 2 on and i never had it happen again, since then ive ditched dual chainrings and went xx1 up front and love it.
    How long have you been on your Type 2? I've had mine for just under a year. The chain drop problem resurfaced within the last month for me. Prior to that, I thought it was no longer an issue. Even with the longer teeth of a true 1X chainring, I have my doubts. If the Type 2 starts to weaken its chain tension ability then I will be dropping the chain into the frame.
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

mtbr member
    Is the general consensus to lengthen the chain a link? I've been doing the both outer ring outside derailleur, suspension fully engaged, plus one link thing. I've got a new chain coming today, and I don't like adding links (personal experience).
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dry Cownty Brewer View Post
    How long have you been on your Type 2? I've had mine for just under a year. The chain drop problem resurfaced within the last month for me. Prior to that, I thought it was no longer an issue. Even with the longer teeth of a true 1X chainring, I have my doubts. If the Type 2 starts to weaken its chain tension ability then I will be dropping the chain into the frame.
    ive been rocking it since about june, i have ridden all the same trails that i used to lose my chain on and i cant even hear chain slap, and if i do its very minimal. i just went xx1 chainring up front this winter so i havent tried it with that yet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Znarf View Post
    I'd love to know this also.
    My XXO1 rear derailleur seems also to have lost its damping capabilities.
    Worked fine for a couple of months, no chain slap but now the chain is as loud as with a classic RD.
    I warrantied it and SRAM says there'd be no issue at all,
    I am pretty curious if it'll work again as advertised once I get it back...
    Have you got it back?

Mine X01 also feels like normal derailleur after few months of use...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by max_lombardy View Post
    Not sure how tightening the rear derailleur clutch would halp chain drop up front... You might check chain and chainrings for wear and make sure your front mech is properly aligned. Also, as many people have stated, the knock is nothing to worry about.
    The clutch should keep the chain in tension and help prevent it rolling off chainrings. I'm finding issues with my narrow/wide chainring though it could be because it's worn or the chain is wearing. The chain is below the first indicator on my chain checker so should be okay, but I did find I had to replace my chain on the hard tail with the narrow/wide on that also earlier than usual. Replaced chain, no drop.

However the full sus definitely is suffering from slack chain.

So as I understand it with the X9 Type 2, there's the T55 bolt but I'm reading there's another behind it that would in theory allow you to adjust the preload on the spring, thus add or remove tension?

Problem is I undid the T55 but it wouldn't come out. It just kept rotating but after the thread ends, pulling it didn't pull it out.

I'm also finding, sometimes the clutch is tensioning and sometimes not.

mtbr member
    I got a new rear derailleur from SRAM and mounted that up. It worked again as advertised and I never dropped the chain (ever ;-) )

At some point this one started to creak and tick like crazy. That was not Srams fault however.
    I almost went nuts, nearly tore apart half of my bike, coulnīt find anything.
    Then I noticed that the derailleur made noises when I touched the cage and then I re-read the instruction/mount-up manual and thought that I might not have greased the hanger bolt properly.

And that was the culprit. I took the derailleur off, greased the hell out of the bolt/derailleur interface and the rotating part with the tension-screw and then greased the contact area to the hanger, loc-tited the thread and never had a single noise since then.

The derailleur seems to put a different kind of load to the frame, because it rather moves sideways than up/down, as most conventional derailleurs do. At least that is my personal explanation.
    Never had to grease a hanger bolt before. But now that it works, I am fine with that...

I really like my X01 again, the cassette starts to look pretty worn though...

Greetings Znarf

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I was wondering if anyone has found a solution to the XTR Shadow Plus issue with the knocking/clicking. I have a 2009 Fuel EX8 that knocks and I think its because of the chain growth forcing the rear der. to break away. Unless I am thinking about it wrong, I don't think adding a couple links will remedy the situation. Ideas?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

SRAM type 2 derailleur issues

I have the dreaded crappy clutch syndrome on my brand new x9 sram medium derailer. Out of the box it was cr@p. Every time it went past 90 degrees, or vertical, it would hang there, and not snap back. I cant send it back because I brought off ebay. So far, despite two trips to the bike shop, the only thing that has worked is slackening off the outer torcx bolt quite a bit, and this stops it binding. I have it wound out about 2 or 3 threads and in the work-shop at least it appears to work. I will hit the trails on it tomorrow and see if it works in the real world. A very disappointing piece of kit. My buddy has the exact same model which works perfectly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    What you describe is not at all what has been reported in this thread. You have a lemon, and sad to say you can't execute your warranty. Good luck! I've never heard of that happening to the type 2's before. You might try some lubricant to help the cage rotate with the appropriate amount of friction.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cousinmosquito View Post
    Every time it went past 90 degrees, or vertical, it would hang there, and not snap back.
    Sounds like a dud to me too - that's what I'd expect if the one-way roller clutch/bearing was put in the wrong way.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JHwick View Post
    Sounds like a dud to me too - that's what I'd expect if the one-way roller clutch/bearing was put in the wrong way.
    Yeah POS, my bad for not buying local tho ! True I never had the knock, but the fix seems to be the same. Slacken off the torx or dismantle it and regrease.

Thats an awesome tutorial on the aussie site but I thought I would try slackening off the outside bolt first. My guess is the tolerances are too variable and its a lottery as to how well its going to run out of the box, and for how long. Meanwhile my old black box XO just keeps on rocking : )

I <3 dirt

Did it come in packaging?
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikemtb999 View Post
    Did it come in packaging?
    Not so as you'd notice : ) Plastic bag I think.

The crowd seems legit to me.

Mr Ride 2014 SRAM x9 Type 2 Rear Derailleur 10 Speed Medium Cage | eBay

"New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item in its original packaging (where packaging is applicable). Packaging should be the same as what is found in a retail store, unless the item is handmade or was packaged by the manufacturer in non-retail packaging, such as an unprinted box or plastic bag. See the seller's listing for full details."

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I just started having an issue with my x9 rear derailleur. My bike has roughly 3,000 miles on it and it worked perfectly up until yesterday. Each pedal stroke, I can hear a clicking sound. I cant duplicate the sound in the stand by pedaling the bike, however, I can get it to click if I gently press on the arm of the derailleur towards the wheel. Performance hasn't suffered yet, but just wondering if I need to order a new one, or if it will last a while. Anyone else have experience with this?

mtbr member
    Is this the issue where it locks and creates slack in the chain and the chain will pop off until the derailleur is reset? Mine started doing this yesterday, as in like the button engages and it swings there, however the button never engaged at all.. Reset it and good to go until it locks again..

I got mine from Jenson so if this a known issue I will contact sram for a replacement..

I have the dreaded crappy clutch syndrome on my brand new x9 sram medium derailer. Out of the box it was cr@p. Every time it went past 90 degrees, or vertical, it would hang there, and not snap back. I cant send it back because I brought off ebay. So far, despite two trips to the bike shop, the only thing that has worked is slackening off the outer torcx bolt quite a bit, and this stops it binding. I have it wound out about 2 or 3 threads and in the work-shop at least it appears to work. I will hit the trails on it tomorrow and see if it works in the real world. A very disappointing piece of kit. My buddy has the exact same model which works perfectly.

mtbr member

Mine does this as well off and on, only when extended and will pop back if tapped with finger or foot annoying because I have to stop to do so or the chain drops. LBS is scratching their head as well......

I did get a 40t sprocket out on but we put on a new chain for the needed links...

Sent from magic wish granting phone

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iboated View Post
    Is this the issue where it locks and creates slack in the chain and the chain will pop off until the derailleur is reset? Mine started doing this yesterday, as in like the button engages and it swings there, however the button never engaged at all.. Reset it and good to go until it locks again..

I got mine from Jenson so if this a known issue I will contact sram for a replacement..
    I had this same issue - I tried to fix it myself by disassembling, cleaning and re-lube but the problem continued. I tried different tensions on the main bolt but it made no difference. Since I was no longer able to send it in for warranty I bought another new one.

The new one has functioned perfectly out of the box, I wont touch a thing on this new one so if the problem occurs I can send it back to SRAM.

Not sure what causes the sticking/binding? but I could get it to stick forward in my hand after a few rotations, it acted as if the lock engaged but it never did. A slight push back on the arm it would snap back in place and work for a bit then stick again. If SRAM would deal with customers directly I wouldn't mind getting new clutch internals for the bad one to see if it would work as its supposed to.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotatacomaTRD View Post
    I just started having an issue with my x9 rear derailleur. My bike has roughly 3,000 miles on it and it worked perfectly up until yesterday. Each pedal stroke, I can hear a clicking sound. I cant duplicate the sound in the stand by pedaling the bike, however, I can get it to click if I gently press on the arm of the derailleur towards the wheel. Performance hasn't suffered yet, but just wondering if I need to order a new one, or if it will last a while. Anyone else have experience with this?
    I figured I better update. . It ended up being my bottom bracket, nothing wrong with the rear derailleur.

mtbr member
    Suffered with the random Cage Lock engagement issue on my last ride. Happened 3-4 times with a relatively new X9 Medium cage. Any resolutions to this? Frustrating!

I work in .001 tolerances

Re: SRAM type 2 derailleur issues

Quote Originally Posted by in the trees View Post
    Suffered with the random Cage Lock engagement issue on my last ride. Happened 3-4 times with a relatively new X9 Medium cage. Any resolutions to this? Frustrating!
    contact your LBS as SRAM won't talk to customers directly.
    I had the same 'extended lock' position on my 3 week old X9 type 2 med cage.

No questions asked, SRAM sent me a new XO as they were out of X9's last week. 75 miles on this weekend without issue.

It's been a problem for them,but there is no 'home' solution to fix it. Warranty all the way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    3 month old bike . 2nd rear derailleur in that amount of time first was an x-7 type 2 second was an upgrade x-9 type 2 it failed yesterday. also the gxp press fit bottom bracket had a bearing failure. Sram warranty has been great however this is keeping me off of my bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Well, my X9 Type 2 slack issues turned out the same as above where it just sticks in forward position. Seems to be on bumpy descents and it will lock mid way down. Once resulting in chain drop.

I fiddled with it trying to adjust the tension, but it still kept happening. I did look at servicing it but it's a lot of hassle, or too expensive, and I want a quick fix, so I've just bought another one. I'll see how long that lasts. It should be a new model at least, but not sure they've done any fixes.

Last X9 Type 2 lasted over a year I guess. Still may get round to servicing it some day. I've also got the other one on my hard tail, and that's been okay, although there's no suspension compression going on there that would affect the chain & mech.

Other than the sticking, I do like it. I much prefer the definite shifting feel compared to Shimano.

mtbr member

Re: SRAM type 2 derailleur issues

Mine just suffered the dreaded lock back syndrome. Very odd. Disassembled, cleaned regreased. Ok off the bike, but who knows if it will come back.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5