Butts Up Fast!

Sram TRX 8 speed trigger shifter....

Alright in my quest to make my GT a 1x8 I'm having trouble finding a worthy 8 speed shifter. Ebay is not overflowin with shimano 8 speed shifters so I'm looking at a new Sram TRX trigger shifter. Does it shift as well as the XT trigger shifters? Whats the good, the bad and the ugly of this shifter? Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Unlike thumb/trigger finger or thumb/thumb or waving hand actuation, the SRAM TRX employs a very unusual shifting action.

The former shift actuation mechanisms feel very natural and intuitive; with the TRX, you have think about it and be careful enough not to inadvertantly shift the other way too. This is due to the fact that both thumb and trigger finger levers are joined at a single pivot point - ie they can't move independently.

In use, they feel clunky compared to XT/XTR as if they don't employ bushings or bearing in the pivots. There is not lever resistance until you push them near to the end of the stroke to the point where they will click and cause a gear change. Another way of saying this is that there is rotational play in the lever pivot.

That being said, they do work fine - just not in a refined way.

For an 8-speed shifter, why not seek out the Shimano SL-R440, SL-M410, SL-MC18/20/40 if the older LX/XT/XTR are not available.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Edit: repeated post deleted. Server busy message caused the error.

Butts Up Fast!
    Quote Originally Posted by standard3x
    For an 8-speed shifter, why not seek out the Shimano SL-R440, SL-M410, SL-MC18/20/40 if the older LX/XT/XTR are not available.
    I was looking at the SL-M410 Alivio which is about $30 new. Do you have any experience with these shifters? Right now I have Shimano LX dual shifter/levers that are over 10 years old. I imagine the new alivios are an upgrade over what I have now even thou they are now considered entry level. I just got some XTR brake levers and need only a rear shifter to finish the 1x8 conversion.