Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    What Penguin???
    Reputation: Queen Bee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    353

    Sram Trigger Shifter Problems

    Three mechanics have looked at this problem but as yet there are no plausible reasons for the problem. Details:

    SRAM X.0 rear shifter (new)
    SRAM X.0 derailleur (new)
    Full cable housing, steel cable
    Used on a winter fat bike in Arrowhead135 (temp -22 to +5deg) and Susitna100 (temp 25-35deg)
    Shifts up and down cassette in the stand just fine.
    Shifts in training just fine.
    Come race day, however, the paddle to release the cable to drop down the cassette is "jammed," won't move at all. Upon inspection there are no broken parts.
    Nothing seems to be impinging on the housing.
    The problem persists 80% of the time; the other 20% the shifter would function normally. There was no rhyme nor reason when it would/wouldn't function.

    FRUSTRATING!!! Any hints as to what is going on are greatly appreciated.
    Meanwhile, back at the hive....

  2. #2
    mtb n00b
    Reputation: Frankie Figs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    165
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen Bee
    Three mechanics have looked at this problem but as yet there are no plausible reasons for the problem. Details:

    SRAM X.0 rear shifter (new)
    SRAM X.0 derailleur (new)
    Full cable housing, steel cable
    Used on a winter fat bike in Arrowhead135 (temp -22 to +5deg) and Susitna100 (temp 25-35deg)
    Shifts up and down cassette in the stand just fine.
    Shifts in training just fine.
    Come race day, however, the paddle to release the cable to drop down the cassette is "jammed," won't move at all. Upon inspection there are no broken parts.
    Nothing seems to be impinging on the housing.
    The problem persists 80% of the time; the other 20% the shifter would function normally. There was no rhyme nor reason when it would/wouldn't function.

    FRUSTRATING!!! Any hints as to what is going on are greatly appreciated.
    My X7shifter/X9RD setup does this sometimes but its usually after I dump the bike and sand gets in it. I dont have the lil plastic screws that you run the cable through cuz they wouldnt come out when I installed the shifters so that may be why. I blast them out with GT-85 and they're fine again. But, I ride in 50+ degree weather cuz I live in FL lol I hope this helps, but I dont think it will lol

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    232
    I'm assuming you've already done most of this, but just incase..

    1. Remove the cable from the housing and ditch the shifter. While you have the cable out inspect the housing for burrs and the cable for kinks. Insert the cable back and move the rd by pulling on the shifter end of the cable. If everything pulls smooth then goto 2.

    2. If the cable test passed fine then I'm betting its the internals on your shifter. Sometimes the ratchet arm that moves the disc (cable wraps around) gets a little deformed and doesn't mesh in the teeth to release. If the paddle is taunt then the arm is probably tweaked/deformed. If its loose, ie wiggles back and forth then the arm is loose on the pivot and is moving over/under the "gear line". In either case Id swap out the shifter. I fixed my by taking it apart, but it seized again a few months later. Same scenerio randomly worked/failed.
    08 Bar 2.1 FS
    09 Rockhopper frame 17" FS

    http://theboyaintright.blogspot.com

  4. #4
    What Penguin???
    Reputation: Queen Bee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by jahkneefive
    I'm assuming you've already done most of this, but just incase..

    1. Remove the cable from the housing and ditch the shifter. While you have the cable out inspect the housing for burrs and the cable for kinks. Insert the cable back and move the rd by pulling on the shifter end of the cable. If everything pulls smooth then goto 2.

    2. If the cable test passed fine then I'm betting its the internals on your shifter. Sometimes the ratchet arm that moves the disc (cable wraps around) gets a little deformed and doesn't mesh in the teeth to release. If the paddle is taunt then the arm is probably tweaked/deformed. If its loose, ie wiggles back and forth then the arm is loose on the pivot and is moving over/under the "gear line". In either case Id swap out the shifter. I fixed my by taking it apart, but it seized again a few months later. Same scenerio randomly worked/failed.
    Thanks for the input! I could never reproduce the symptoms in the shop. Completely different story out on the trail. I'm going to a twister...
    Meanwhile, back at the hive....

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: damnitman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,284
    thumbs are the way to go...
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: oldskoolbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,600
    The only time I've had my paddle to release jam on a SRAM shifter, was when it was in need of a good cleaning. I know you said yours are new, but I'm thinking perhaps the grease inside the shifter could be getting hard in the cold weather and causing the shifter to jam.

    I suggest taking the shifter apart, cleaning everything, and then reassemble, and use a grease that can handle your low temps.

  7. #7
    mtb n00b
    Reputation: Frankie Figs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    165
    Or you can try giving me your shifter and I'll work on it and send it back. It will look like an X7 but I assure you I wont swap them out

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •