Riding or Fishing

SRAM SX4 to X7...Worth the upgrade?

Found a good deal online for an OEM set of SRAM X7 trigger shifters. I currently run an 8spd cassette, and don't really plan on changing it anytime soon.
    I'm very happy with my SX4 triggers, but I am wondering what the differences are, and if they are worth the upgrade.
    Thanks for your input

mtbr member
    I have never run the sx4, but I have the 8 speed version of the attack triggers, which to the best of my knowledge are the equivalent of the sx7 only they are shimano compatible.

I really like the attack shifters replaced my old LX and I like them better.
    I'll kick you so had you'll starve to death bouncin'
    - My Grandpa

Speak Softly and Carry a big stick

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    If you're happy with your SX4s, why upgrade? I haven't used SX4s, but I have some SX5s and X9s, and to be honest, I don't know that I can tell any difference in the way they shift and feel.

You didn't say whether the X7s you were looking at were 8 or 9 speed. I certainly wouldn't upgrade to 9-speed just because you found a good deal on 9-speed shifters. On the other hand, if they are 8-speed and you are happy with 8-speed (which a lot of us are), you may want to buy them for future use because the 8-speed stuff is gradually getting harder to find. I have a new set of Shimano XT 8-speed shifters stashed for that very purpose. If they are a good deal, even if you don't use them you may be able to Ebay them in a couple years for the same price or maybe even for a profit since there will likely be people desperately looking for good quality 8-speed shifters by then.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

Riding or Fishing
    Yeah sorry, my SX4's are 8 spd. I am very happy with my 8spd set up.
    I do think I will grab this set, seeing as the price is right.
    Thanks for the input!

**edit**
    So, I just went to buy them, and they won't charge a Canadian credit card without me emailing them a scan of the front and back of the card, AND a scan of photo ID....so lame.
    Oh well, I guess I continue hunting for a decently priced set.
    Last edited by musky; 11-14-2007 at 08:29 PM.

willtsmith_nwi
    Quote Originally Posted by musky
    I'm very happy with my SX4 triggers ...
    You must not be very demanding. Those SX4 triggers are trash. Sorry.

Yes, definitely go for the X-7 triggers. Those used to be the X-9 triggers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

8spd X7

I have the X7 8spd trigger shifter on my Moto Lite. I works great.

My drive train is 9spd following parts: Xt crank and front derailer, X9 rear derailer and left shifter pod. 8spd: left X7 shifter pod, xtr chain and XTR steel 12-32 casstte.

Love this set up- shifts smooth. I wish I could find an X9 8spd trigger shifter pod.