mtbr member
    Aug 2008

SRAM SX4 Trigger skipping gear...

I just picked up a new Rockhopper Comp 29er with the SRAM SX4 Trigger shifters. The back 8 shift up and down like a dream, but something odd is going on with the front 3. I can make it from 1st to 2nd to 3rd easy enough, but when I try to shift from 3rd down to 2nd, it skips 2nd entirely and goes back to 1st. Since I haven't use shifters like this before, is this normal? If not, how would I go about fixing this, or will I have to take it back to the LBS?

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

No it's not normal....

and it is realatively easy to fix, it's a matter of adjustment. It's a simple matter of adjusting the barrel adjuster on the shifter. This changes cable tension, you need a bit more. Unless you know what you are doing I would suggest taking it back the LBS and having them do it. It'll take em about 5 minutes and being its a new bike they shouldn't charge you anything for it. Just let them know what it's doing. And you might ask if they'll let you watch or at least explain it to you. It helps being able to do minor adjustments like this yourself.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Managed to fix it myself. Thanks for the help.