mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Sram SX4 shifter problem

My buddy has a Fuel 70 with SX4 shifters and the shifter for the front derailler like, "popped" today and then there was a bunch of slack in the cable down at the derailler. We tried tightening up the cable, adjusting the hi low stops but it won't shift up out of the small chain ring unless the cable is all the way tight, then it will shift to the middle ring but not hold the shift, it falls back to the small ring?

Any help ASAP would be greatly apprecatied. (we are trying to get ready for a ride)

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Replace the shifter....

it's the only way you'll get it fixed. There is a notched ring and a paul that holds the cable carrier in place once you initiate a shift. Sounds like either the paul is broken or the notch in the carrier stripped out. The bottom line is the internals are screwed. The cheapest and fastest way, even if repair parts are available, is to simply replace the shifter.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Freshly Fujified

Squash is right

A new shifter is in order. I would also recommend upgrading it if possible. If you can, find a set of 8 speed X.7 shifters. You can still find them brand new on ebay and as closeouts in some of the online shops.
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Thanks guys!! I am trying to convince him to upgrade since he will just be replacing what appears to be junk (based on the reviews and posts I have found about the SX4 shifters). He is on a budget but I can just see him replacing the left one, and then the right one "popping" the next time we go ride.