mtbr member
    Aug 2004

sram and shimano mix and match

hi all,

i need a new cassette and was thinking of getting the SRAM PGII 970 (something like that)... just wanted to know if there are any problems mixing and matching a SRAM cassette with shimano derailleurs and chains... thanks... and is it worth the extra money to go with the XT cassette? (can't afford the XTRs, nor would i want to pay double to save a bit of weight).

TIA

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    the cassette should work. i think the gear spacing is the same for 9 spd shimano cassettes and 9 spd sram cassettes. You just cant mix and match sram ESP shifters with shimano derailleurs.

Drugstore Trailrider
    Quote Originally Posted by discomonkey
    hi all,

i need a new cassette and was thinking of getting the SRAM PGII 970 (something like that)... just wanted to know if there are any problems mixing and matching a SRAM cassette with shimano derailleurs and chains... thanks... and is it worth the extra money to go with the XT cassette? (can't afford the XTRs, nor would i want to pay double to save a bit of weight).

TIA
    Of course you can use SRAM shifters for the Shimano front derailleur, but not for the back. I have mixed SRAM and Shimano drive-train components and find no problems whatsoever.

However the SRAM 9-Speed cassette has a much bigger gap between the biggest cogs (28T to 34T) than the XT or XTR (30T to 34T). Just today riding a bike with the SRAM cassette I was thinking that I wasn't gonna get another one because I find that wide spacing a frequent pain in the butt.

Just my experience.

John W.
    Body Armor--Don't Leave Home Without It!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Rear Der. Mix??

Quote Originally Posted by papajohn
    Of course you can use SRAM shifters for the Shimano front derailleur, but not for the back. I have mixed SRAM and Shimano drive-train components and find no problems whatsoever.

However the SRAM 9-Speed cassette has a much bigger gap between the biggest cogs (28T to 34T) than the XT or XTR (30T to 34T). Just today riding a bike with the SRAM cassette I was thinking that I wasn't gonna get another one because I find that wide spacing a frequent pain in the butt.

Just my experience.

John W.
    Can I use a 9 speed SRAM x.7 or 5 with my shifters I have used for my 9 speed Shimano LX rear der.?

Thanks!

Transition Blindside v5

New question here. XT vs SRAM cassette (11-32T) ?

Would that be the case ("wide spacing") for 11-32 cassettes of XT (M750/M760) vs SRAM (PG990 or PG970), too?

[QUOTE=papajohn]However the SRAM 9-Speed cassette has a much bigger gap between the biggest cogs (28T to 34T) than the XT or XTR (30T to 34T). Just today riding a bike with the SRAM cassette I was thinking that I wasn't gonna get another one because I find that wide spacing a frequent pain in the butt.[QUOTE]

I have everything XT, and my cassette (M750) is wearing out. Shopping around for prices, SRAM cassettes are much cheaper than XT (now M760), it seems. Just trying figure out whether to spend extra for M760, or to try something new like PG990 or PG970 this time...

Also... Is PG990 more like XT or XTR? Is PG970 more like LX or XT?
    (With shifters/drlrs, I heard that "X.0 = XTR" and "X9 = XT". So, I'd guess that PG990 is XT and PG970 is LX...?)

Thanks,
    - PiroChu

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I've been wondering is the XT cassette really any better than the HG70 besides just being lighter.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PiroChu
    Would that be the case ("wide spacing") for 11-32 cassettes of XT (M750/M760) vs SRAM (PG990 or PG970), too?
    All CS-M750/CS-M760 cassettes feature "normal" cog-size progression. The 11-32 PG990 actually features identical cog sizes to Shimano's 11-32 offerings, and so therefore has "normal" cog-size progression as well. It's only the 11-34 cassettes that SRAM cheaped out on by only redesigning the biggest cog, which gives you the "abnormal" jump to the biggest cog.

Quote Originally Posted by PiroChu
    Also... Is PG990 more like XT or XTR? Is PG970 more like LX or XT?
    (With shifters/drlrs, I heard that "X.0 = XTR" and "X9 = XT". So, I'd guess that PG990 is XT and PG970 is LX...?)
    The PG990 is more like XT, while X.0 derailleur is indeed more like XTR. The PG990 is actually still a bit heavier than the CS-M760. SRAM has nothing like the fairly-extreme-4-Ti-cogged XTR cassette.

Ride on
    Jan 2004

PG970 works fine with XT

I am currently running the PG970 cassette with XT derailleurs and LX shifters and it works fine.