mtbr member
    Sep 2005

SRAM or Shimano?

I want to upgrade my shifters to Shimano XT or SRAM X-9 (XO I believe is more like XTR, correct?)

I need some advice as to which one to get. I really don't know too much about SRAM, but I here I lot of good things. So I am looking for some helpful suggestions.

I throw poo
    Wow, did you just open up a can of worms. That is the kind of question that'll start a fist fight on these forums.

Just to make it a little easier, are you changing your derailier too?
    Dang it, now I'm running a coolness deficit for sure.

Freshly Fujified

Depends on your rear derailleur

If you have a Shimano rear derailleur, you can't use the X.0 shifters. X series shifters can only be used with X series rear derailleurs. (It has to do with the amount of cable that is pulled by the shifter to move the derailleur to the next cog). They will work with any front derailleur. SRAM does make Shimano compatible shifters, check their website for more details.

Which is better? Like lovemonkey said, you'll raise a lot of emotion on this issue. We all have our preferences, and I happen to be an SRAM fan. I also happen to feel that both manufacturers make good products, so it comes down to preferences. I run X.7 on my mountian bike and LX on my street bike. I have no complaints with either.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dshighway
    I want to upgrade my shifters to Shimano XT or SRAM X-9 (XO I believe is more like XTR, correct?)

I need some advice as to which one to get. I really don't know too much about SRAM, but I here I lot of good things. So I am looking for some helpful suggestions.
    I you want to use the Shimano rear derailleur, you need the SRAM Rocket shifters because SRAM and Shimano rear derailleurs have different cable pull.

I have X-9 shifters on one bike and XT 8 speed shifters on the other. While I like the ergonomics of SRAM better (thumb lever for both), the Shimano's have a better, more quality feel to them. The SRAMs have a lot of lever travel on the downshift lever before it engages. The levers look and feel sort of cheap. Just my $.02. Others may have a different opinion.

Also, if you can go with 8 speed, I can tell you that 8 speed shifting is better (more precise, less gnashing and grinding). Unfortunately I need the 34 tooth cog on my other bike, which has 29 inch wheels so I have to stick with 9 speed on it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I wasnt going to upgrade my rear derailler, but if I want to go x-7 or x-9 than it appears I would have to..no prob if thats the case. I should head down the LBS and ride a bike with SRAM and see how I like it. Seems like the best way to find out. I have Deore for my front derailler and shifters. LX for my rear derailler. I could just upgrade everything to LX and I would think that will make things a bit better. I am looking for more of a solid system... I click and the gear shifts with no clicking and going back then clicking again to get where I want. I have had the cables adjusted and I still am a bit unhappy with it. This is my thought for upgrading.

I throw poo
    Quote Originally Posted by dshighway
    I wasnt going to upgrade my rear derailler, but if I want to go x-7 or x-9 than it appears I would have to..no prob if thats the case. I should head down the LBS and ride a bike with SRAM and see how I like it. Seems like the best way to find out. I have Deore for my front derailler and shifters. LX for my rear derailler. I could just upgrade everything to LX and I would think that will make things a bit better. I am looking for more of a solid system... I click and the gear shifts with no clicking and going back then clicking again to get where I want. I have had the cables adjusted and I still am a bit unhappy with it. This is my thought for upgrading.
    Like MikeDee said, if you want to mix shimano and sram then you need to get the Rocket or Attack shifters. Rockets = X-9, Attack = X-7 I have Attack on my bike.
    Dang it, now I'm running a coolness deficit for sure.

pronounced may-duh
    Unless your current setup is broken I doubt your will see a big diference in performance from shimano to sram. Shimano LX is an excellent system. I would make sure your hanger is straight, replace your cables, adjust everything and it should shift like new.