mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Sram and Shimano 10 speed compatibility?

Making the jump to 10 speed, so far I have ordered Sram XX shifters, front and rear derailleurs and crankset. Can I use Shimano cassettes and chains like I could with my ex 9 speed setups? Not as concerned with the chain as I am with the cassettes as the XT cassette looks like the way to go, the XX is fragile looking and crazy expensive and the 1070 does not appear to be on par with the XT unit. Anyone mixing it up yet?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem1
    Making the jump to 10 speed, so far I have ordered Sram XX shifters, front and rear derailleurs and crankset. Can I use Shimano cassettes and chains like I could with my ex 9 speed setups? Not as concerned with the chain as I am with the cassettes as the XT cassette looks like the way to go, the XX is fragile looking and crazy expensive and the 1070 does not appear to be on par with the XT unit. Anyone mixing it up yet?
    Should work
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    no worries...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    O.K. got a deal on a XT cassette and chain combo on ebay as well as a Sram 1091R chain. I will due some back to back tests on shifting and noise and post my thoughts once I get this puppy put together.

mtbr member
    has anyone actually tried this? my LBS tried it and they said the spacing was slightly different and shifting was off.

Former Bike Wrench
    The cassette spacing is the same, but there are some variations in the chains.

RHRF!

Works for me...

I'm running an XT 10sp cassette w/Sram 1051 10sp chain, X.9 RD/Shifter, XTR FD, 32/22 rings - works great!
    "The secret of joy is the mastery of pain." (Anaïs Nin)

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I am glad it works for you but it is not supposed to be an ideal fit. The 10spd XT cassette is intended to be matched with the XT chain. The teeth on the cassette are thicker and not matched to the Sram chain.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Anthem1
    Any updates on the XX shifter and XT cassette and chain combo? I'm really interested in this since SRAM doesn't have a 11-36 10speed cassette except the XX.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by john85D
    Anthem1
    Any updates on the XX shifter and XT cassette and chain combo? I'm really interested in this since SRAM doesn't have a 11-36 10speed cassette except the XX.
    .They have a 1090, 1070 and 1050 ten speed cassette in 12-36.

MDJ
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Specialized specs Sram shifters/deraileurs, with Shimano cassettes and KMC chains on several of thier bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by deanmachine
    I prefer to have a 11t cog since I use my bike for DH as well, I need the higher gear. I wonder why SRAM doesn't give us more options with this gearing.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by john85D
    Anthem1
    Yeah, SRAM really crapped the bed on this one.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by deanmachine
    I prefer to have a 11t cog since I use my bike for DH as well, I need the higher gear. I wonder why SRAM doesn't give us more options with this gearing.