mtbr member

Sram shifting problems

I have a sram x7 shifter and x9 rear derailer and am having problems adjusting it. It shifts fine 9-5th gear with the pully tracking right in the middle of the gear and the chain. With gears 5-1, each shift down, the pulley moves further and further off center from the gear. 2nd gear has a hard time shifting out of it and the pully is pushing the chain over into 1st and is rubbing. Is there any way to adjust the throw of each shift, not the tracking or the high and low, but the distance of each shift. There isn't too much paper work on the x7 but i saw a small setscrew on top near the clamp. What does this adjust?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    No, the gear to gear spacing is fixed and is the same for all 9 speed components for compatibility.

Any chance you clamped the cable into the 'wrong' side of the clamp bolt on the rear derailleur?

Other than that, the only other thing I can think of is something in the housing/cable that is compressing, but I think what you are describing is the opposite of what result with this. If this was happening, each shift distance would be a little short....and yours is shifting long or too far each cog if I understand correctly.

Might check for a bent derailleur hanger.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    the cable is mounted correctly and is moving freely through it's housing. The hanger is straight also.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    adjust the cable tension

Dirt Deviant
    Here is is a pic I took from the sram manual.
    Notice how the various models have different cable routing.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Resolution????

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Funny, I've got the same problem and think I know what's up... I've got a 2010 X.9 that has exactly 2 rides on it. I've been doing a lot of skinnys and log rides and yesterday it started shifting like crap. I checked today and now it rides loose (doesnt' want to shift to the next larger gear) in the small diameter gears and tight in the large diameter gears. I was messing with it today and noticed that there is a lot of slop in the pivot where the bolt goes through the deraileur hanger. With the cable loose and the chain off, I can wobble the whole RD around that pivot. As the cable tightens, pulling the RD up the cassette, it is also shifting the angle and twisting a bit. I'm assuming that one of the times I snagged my RD coming off the side of a skinney I've been working on, I trashed the pivot.

Now, I'm trying to figure out what to do... If the SRAM stuff is that flimsy (I didn't beat it all THAT hard) maybe go back to Shimano? I ran a XT shadow on my last bike and it worked alright... Maybe Saint will be tougher? It doesn't take many RDs to pay for a set of shifters. To the credit of this X.9, for the day that it worked, it shifted so crisp I wanted to marry it.

RIDE!
    Scott.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by scocra
    Funny, I've got the same problem and think I know what's up... I've got a 2010 X.9 that has exactly 2 rides on it. I've been doing a lot of skinnys and log rides and yesterday it started shifting like crap. I checked today and now it rides loose (doesnt' want to shift to the next larger gear) in the small diameter gears and tight in the large diameter gears. I was messing with it today and noticed that there is a lot of slop in the pivot where the bolt goes through the deraileur hanger. With the cable loose and the chain off, I can wobble the whole RD around that pivot. As the cable tightens, pulling the RD up the cassette, it is also shifting the angle and twisting a bit. I'm assuming that one of the times I snagged my RD coming off the side of a skinney I've been working on, I trashed the pivot.

Now, I'm trying to figure out what to do... If the SRAM stuff is that flimsy (I didn't beat it all THAT hard) maybe go back to Shimano? I ran a XT shadow on my last bike and it worked alright... Maybe Saint will be tougher? It doesn't take many RDs to pay for a set of shifters. To the credit of this X.9, for the day that it worked, it shifted so crisp I wanted to marry it.

RIDE!
    Scott.
    If its going to get knocked around use an X7 .

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    My LBS called SRAM and they are sending out a new B-bolt assy (the AL bolt / pivot that goes into the derailleur hanger). Hopefully that'll stop the wobble. While in the shop, I compared the SRAM to regular Shimano to the Shadow and was surprised at how little the shadow stuff sticks out. They barely pass the QR where the others are stick out 1/2" or 3/4" past. Don't know that the Saint or Shadow stuff is any tougher, but with it so close to the wheel, it'd get snagged less. And good point on the X7, until I'm better on the skinnys saving some bucks on the RDs is a good idea.