mtbr member
    May 2004

sram shifting problems

Does this sound familiar

RE Sram PG-950 cassette
    I had to replace the OEM chain, so I put on a Sram chain (it's a Sram cassette, so it'd seem logical, right?) only to have all sorts of shifting problems and ridiculous amounts of noise. I did some investigating and finally found Sram's dealer technical publications, which listed chain compatibility as being only Shimano for this cassette (it used to be on Sram's website, but the link now leads to the 2005 technical publications). So, I put a Shimano HG-93 chain on it, and it's been great ever since. According to the 2005 technical publications, the compatibility is now Sram, but if you find a 2004 version, beware of that.
    I have a 2005 Devinci magma with an x7 rear der. PG950 cassette and a sram PC950 chain as well as 7.0 gripshift. I can't get this thing to shift smooth. Is it really a chain-cassette combatibility issue?

The chain has problems shifting from the smaller cogs to the larger ones sometimes. The chain kind of rides around the cassette on top of the teeth then falls in to place all at once. It's not every shift, it's more like every third shift if I just go from 1st to 2nd over and over.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

I have (almost) the same problem

I have a 7.0 cassette and a PC69 chain. It shifts fine but it runs rough on the 3 smallest cogs. When I have it on the work stand it I can see that it doesn't run through those cogs very smooth. It doesn't skip, it seems like the chain doesn't fit the cogs (as strange as this may sound) I can't figure it out. The chain and cassette are new. My chianline is fine. My very best set-up was a SRAM 5.0 and a Shimano IG-90. I am also going to buy a HG-93. I think Shimano chains run smoother.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Two things I might look at would be the derailleur hanger, and your cable clamp. A lot of times, a bent derailleur hanger will cause funny shifting. The other place I am refering to is where the cable is clamped to the derailleur. If that's not clamped properly, it can cause mis-shifting too. Good luck.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by plazcek
    It doesn't skip, it seems like the chain doesn't fit the cogs (as strange as this may sound) I can't figure it out.
    Thats exactly what I'm talking about. Let me know if a shimano chain fixes the problem.
    My last bike had a XT der., XT cassette, sram chain and Attack gripshifters and never had this problem. I could set up the shifting in 10 minutes. I've been working on this one for hours.

Map Maker
    its sounds like to me you have a worn cassette mixed with a new chain. I had the trouble of riding up the cogs with a worn cassete.
    also check for derailler hanger alignment
    Richmond, VA
    Ra-MORE mtb club

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    If you do some usenet and mtbr searches you'll see ppl having shifting problems with sram cassettes with sram chains.. but never a problem if you have a sram cassette with a shimano chain, they also say sram cassettes tend to wear faster... I can't say personally as I've always owned shimano cassettes (Deore and LX), but have used both brand of chains with zero shifting problems (PC-950, HG53, HG72 (2), CN-7701)

Oh and the chain jumping on cogs (not skipping), I've had that problem b4 and took me days to figure that I had a broken XT rear derailleur barrel adjuster.