1x9'er
    Jul 2005

SRAM Rocket twist shifter for XT or XTR rear derailuer?

Hey guys. Got a few questions on Rocket twist shifters.

I've been running a SRAM X-0 grip shifter and X-9 long cage rear derailuer on my bike that I have been very happy with and will be single-speeding the front end, getting rid of the front derailuer and 2 outter chainrings and using just the middle front ring, but keeping the 9-speed in the rear. Anyways, I want to go with a short cage rear derailuer since I don't need the long cage anymore to shift the front rings.

I looked at the new X-0 short cage derailuer, very cool, but it is rediculusly expensive (about $250!!!) . So, I'm thinkin now of going with an XT or XTR rear derailuer instead. Of course that means a new shifter will be needed since the 1:1 ratio X-0 will not shift a 2:1 ratio Shimano rear derailuer. I hate triggers/rapid fire/etc and can't really afford what I would really like to have, which is a top-mount thumb shifter, by way of using a Paul's Bar Con mount and Dura Ace or Ultegra 9/10-speed bar-end shifter.

Kicking down the cash for the new X-0 short cage would be cheaper than the Paul's mounts, bar-end shifter and XT or XTR derailuer combination, but is probably still more than a Rocket shifter plus XT or XTR derailuer. I need to research that more to be sure though.

The X-0 grip shifter has been working good and I like how it shifts and have gotten used to the twist shifting, so I'm thinkin of going with a Rocket twist shifter. My question is, how well do they work with an XT or XTR rear derailuer? Are they as good as X-0's? Will it work as good as the X-0 shifter and X-9 derailuer combination I'm using now?

Thanks for your input!

nachos rule!
    Jan 2004
    never tried XO/X9's, but i've been using rockets on XTR rears for quite a while now, no issues whatsoever.
    plus a change, plus c'est la m'me chose - alphonse karr

Want to vent?
    Ive used SRAM rocket and attack shifters with xt and xtr ders in 8 and 9 speeds....absolute perfection............i found that using a good cable helps the shifting out alot...something slick.....had the best luck with the gore ride-on cables.....

Anyways...are u doing all this just to eliminate the long cage der?....save all that dough and just run the long cage and shorten the chain would be my first solution / suggestion for ya....just my 2cents

-Boz
    "I'm supa-fly TNT, I'm tha guns of the navarone!"

mechmann_mtb

i don't use Sram shifters but...

if it makes any difference to you, you can get a XT short cage RD and tune it so it is almost as light as XTR. the difference was less than 10 grams when i finished mine. mine is a low normal and is taking some time to get used to the backwards shifting. it works nice on my 1x9, perfect shifts and no more chain slap with a more stout RD that is shorter and hopefully won't get bashed as much as the stock XTR one did.

i need to put a piece of shrink tubing on that cable end. bad justin.

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by The SS Boz
    Ive used SRAM rocket and attack shifters with xt and xtr ders in 8 and 9 speeds....absolute perfection............i found that using a good cable helps the shifting out alot...something slick.....had the best luck with the gore ride-on cables.....

Anyways...are u doing all this just to eliminate the long cage der?....save all that dough and just run the long cage and shorten the chain would be my first solution / suggestion for ya....just my 2cents

-Boz

I have to agree with this guy. Save you money. As for whats the difference in performance between a rocket/xt set up and SRAM's 1:1. The 1:1 is suposed to be less sensitive and therfore shifts better when things are not ideal (muddy, suspension movement, etc...) In reality it's splitting hairs and both will shift fantasticaly. It's more about the ergonomics of the shifter. If you like the X-0 grip shifters stick with that. Personally I can stand grip shifters. I can't get to the brake levers and the thick shifter is like a big lump under my hand. I love triggers sram or shimano are superb. Now if they would only drop the stupid 9spd thing. Shimano 8sp is the best shifting performance of all time.

Shot Down in Flames...
    I have full X.0 on one bike and X.0 shifters/X.9 RD on another. I used to run Rocket shifters and XTR 952 RD.

The SRAM RD/Shifter set-up shifts much better than the Rocket/XTR. Crisper, and the RD isn't as fussy once you get it set-up.

I have other Sh!mano stuff, but I have no plans to use their RD again after experiencing the X.* series stuff.

D.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

X9 short

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDesertRider
    Hey guys. Got a few questions on Rocket twist shifters.

I've been running a SRAM X-0 grip shifter and X-9 long cage rear derailuer on my bike that I have been very happy with and will be single-speeding the front end, getting rid of the front derailuer and 2 outter chainrings and using just the middle front ring, but keeping the 9-speed in the rear. Anyways, I want to go with a short cage rear derailuer since I don't need the long cage anymore to shift the front rings.

I looked at the new X-0 short cage derailuer, very cool, but it is rediculusly expensive (about $250!!!) . So, I'm thinkin now of going with an XT or XTR rear derailuer instead. Of course that means a new shifter will be needed since the 1:1 ratio X-0 will not shift a 2:1 ratio Shimano rear derailuer. I hate triggers/rapid fire/etc and can't really afford what I would really like to have, which is a top-mount thumb shifter, by way of using a Paul's Bar Con mount and Dura Ace or Ultegra 9/10-speed bar-end shifter.

Kicking down the cash for the new X-0 short cage would be cheaper than the Paul's mounts, bar-end shifter and XT or XTR derailuer combination, but is probably still more than a Rocket shifter plus XT or XTR derailuer. I need to research that more to be sure though.

The X-0 grip shifter has been working good and I like how it shifts and have gotten used to the twist shifting, so I'm thinkin of going with a Rocket twist shifter. My question is, how well do they work with an XT or XTR rear derailuer? Are they as good as X-0's? Will it work as good as the X-0 shifter and X-9 derailuer combination I'm using now?

Thanks for your input!
    Why not just go with the short cage X-9? They might refer to it as mid cage but it looks fairly short. I'm running 2x9 (22/36 and 11-32) with the X9.
    Romani ite domum