mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Sram Rocket trigger shifters?

Has anybody used the Sram Rocket shimano-compatible trigger shifters? How do they compare to the last generation of deore pods? They seem really nice with very positive lever feel and they even come with teflon/flourine/whatever (black) coated cables.

It would seem they are discontinued or some such thing since I can't bring up any info on sram's web site, otherwise I'd link to the info page
    For Sale: Cateye Triple Shot, modified with high output emitters!

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

The Rockets have been....

discontinued if I remember correctly. The only aftermarket Shimano compatable trigger shifter that SRAM is offering currently is the Attack. I was never impressed with the Rocket performance. I would say it's about on par with the Deore shifters, a bit crisper and more positive in feel though. But then I'm jaded as far as components go. I've been running high end stuff too long to be happy with anything less than XT performance! I run an X0/X9 drive train on my MTB and a full XT with Attack shifters on my commuter. I like the smoother shifting of the XT system for road work. The Attack shifters perform very well, positive, quick, with a relatively short throw when shifting. The added plus is they operate the same way as the X9s on the MTB so I don't have to "remember" which bike I'm on.

Anyway, if you are looking for an upgrade from Deore shifters, the Rocket really isn't it. Going to the Rockets would be more of a lateral move from a performance standpoint. If you're looking to upgrade the Attack shifters would be the way to go. The Attacks perform more on par with XT shifters.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Interesting. Thank you for the mini-review
    For Sale: Cateye Triple Shot, modified with high output emitters!