mtbr member

SRAM Rival Road shifters with X9 rear deraileur and BB7 brakes?

Anyone know if this will work? I'm currently running a 2x9 setup on my Niner, X9 rear deraileur and X7 front deraileur. I know the road levers are 10 speed, but is it the same spacing as 9 speed.

Also, can I just use Avid BB7 disc brakes with these levers, or should I use the road specific BB7 calipers?

Trying to set my Niner up with drop bars for cyclocross this fall.

Yo.
    Short answer: no and no.

Even though SRAM's road and mountain derailleurs use a 1:1 cable pull ratio, the amount of cable pulled per shift is different, as you suspected. You could get a relatively cheap Rival RD and a 10s cassette and chain, and save 'em for CX season.

While I've heard of people running v-brake levers with BB7 road calipers, I don't think it's going to work well the other way around. The road levers aren't going to pull enough cable to get the brakes to work well unless you set the pads so close to the rotor that you end up with an instant-on feel with very little modulation.

HTH.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    I am a poser. But forums.poser.com doesn't seem to exist, so I come here instead.

mtbr member
    The BB7 road specific calipers with work with STI and SRAM levers, just saw a few on cyclocross and tandem bikes locally. The travel felt fine.

Looks to be a bit more expensive then I thought, replacing the whole drivetrain. I'm assuming my X7 front deraileur will work fine with the levers

Yo.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenboy99
    The BB7 road specific calipers with work with STI and SRAM levers, just saw a few on cyclocross and tandem bikes locally. The travel felt fine.
    And it should. I thought you were talking about using road levers with MTB-specific BB7s. Those would feel weird.
    Looks to be a bit more expensive then I thought, replacing the whole drivetrain. I'm assuming my X7 front deraileur will work fine with the levers
    I think so, but I'm not positive. I don't remember if the SRAM front shifter has a lot of mini-clicks like the MTB twist shifters and Campy levers, or if it has only one or two positions. If its the latter, then the cable pull question would come up again, but i think it would be less of an issue up front.

All that being said, you could just use your Niner as-is for the cx season this year. Just lose the bar-ends if you've got 'em, and you're good to go. If you end up loving 'cross and the Niner is holding you back, pick up a used rig in the off season, or at one of the bigger races - someone always seems to be selling one.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    I am a poser. But forums.poser.com doesn't seem to exist, so I come here instead.

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Eddie
    Even though SRAM's road and mountain derailleurs use a 1:1 cable pull ratio, the amount of cable pulled per shift is different, as you suspected. You could get a relatively cheap Rival RD and a 10s cassette and chain, and save 'em for CX season.
    Not quite. SRAM's mountain derailleurs have a 1.1 to 1 actuation ratio. Their road derailleurs have an approximately 1.4 to 1 actuation ratio. They are not compatible at all.

LDH
    mtbr member
    I would just run a flat bar as you are always in the correct position for cornering, shifting and braking.I think the only advantage of drop bars for road and cross would be the aero advantage at higher speeds and the more open cockpit while standing and pedaling.