mtbr member

Sram Red front mech

Hi all,

As i only use a 2x9 setup with 32,44 chainrings would it be possible for me to fit a sram red front mech to my bike instead of my XTR one?

Im using XO triggers if it makes any difference....

it's....
    Yes you can.
    Front derailleurs are not brand specific.

In exile
    While not brand specific, Sram fronts don't work "well" with Shimano STI. A Red might work, but I'll bet it's not well.

it's....
    Quote Originally Posted by loco-gringo
    While not brand specific, Sram fronts don't work "well" with Shimano STI. A Red might work, but I'll bet it's not well.
    Huh? OP is using XO SRAM shifter, not STI.

mtbr member
    Hi sorry,

My post wasnt clear. What i meant was could i use a Red front mech on a mtb with mtb chainrings and spacings etc as it's different from road....

mtbr member

Some things to consider.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffster
    Hi sorry,

My post wasnt clear. What i meant was could i use a Red front mech on a mtb with mtb chainrings and spacings etc as it's different from road....
    Road front derailleurs usually have a longer cage than MTB shifters in order to work better with the large chain ring on road cranks (typically 50-54T). Depending upon your frame design, it could be an issue. Also, the SRAM Red is designed to work optimally with a 10 speed chain, so the cage width may be slightly narrower than your current front derailleur. This could be a potential issue in some gear combinations.

As far as I know, the spacing between chain rings on a road crank and MTB crank are the same. However, I am not familiar with road double cranksets so you may want to measure the spacing on both cranks -- just to make sure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankinMich
    ... As far as I know, the spacing between chain rings on a road crank and MTB crank are the same. However, I am not familiar with road double cranksets so you may want to measure the spacing on both cranks -- just to make sure.
    Wouldn't matter anyway, since it's the shifter that determines how far the derailleur swings when you shift not the derailleur itself.
    I'm Confused . . . Wait a Minute, No I'm Not . . .

mtbr member
    Old thread this - update. Ive been running a Red front mech for months now, converted it myself no problems

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by RiderInTraining
    Wouldn't matter anyway, since it's the shifter that determines how far the derailleur swings when you shift not the derailleur itself.
    Not quite. Both the shifter and the derailleur determine how far the cage moves. At least with Shimano RDs the road and mtb models use different amounts of cable pull for the same amount of cage movement.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common