mtbr member
    Apr 2004

New question here. SRAM Rear Der. Comparison X.7 vs. X.9 vs. 9.0

Just looking for some non-Shimano oppinions on the newer SRAM ESP rear deraileurs. I have a set of X.7 triggers that need a 1:1 RD. What I was wondering was if there's any point (excluding weight) to spending the extra cash on a X.9 RD verses a X.7. Also, are either of them really better than my trusted old 9.0 model? Back when I started using SRAM ESP in the 8 speed days, it was 9.0 vs. the carbon 9.0SL and the 9.0 won out hands down because the pivots were stronger & more durable. When I spoke to SRAM, they said the X.9 was superior because of a stronger plate on the backside of the RD. They also said I should take advice from MTBR "with a grain of salt" because of user bias & the youth factor. For the record, I've been getting good advice here on MTBR since befor there was a SRAM Corp. They also said I should try the Reba or Pike if I wanted a really good fork. I told them thanks anyway...I'd stick to my coil/oil Bombers & if I did have $599 to spend on a new non-'zokes fork, it would be a Fox. But I digress, my question is about RDs, the X.7 to X.9 to 9.0 comparison. That's what I could use your help with today. By the way, I have only used ESP gripshifters so that's why I am stoked to try their triggers. Not a big fan of the Shiamno rapidfire. No I haven't tried the Shimano dual control stuff yet either.

mtbr member
    I have used the X.7 RD/shifter combo.
    I currently have one bike with x.9 triggers and rd on a C'dale Rush
    and I have some 9.0SL gripshifters and a older 9.0 RD on a Scalpel.
    I used the X.7's for about 2 years and as time went on , they became less snappy and the shifting was slow and mushy.
    I have been using the 9.0 for about 2 years on the bike I ride nearly every day.
    It is much springier even after this time and the shifts are a lot more solid.
    I have only had the x.9 setup for about 2 months now. I haven't had the chance to ride it much , but on the few rides I have , had it on , It is even more solid and precise than than the 9.0.
    I think that the X.9 is so far, the most solid performing one yet.
    But time will tell
    rideyourbicycle.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_in_Jersey
    But I digress, my question is about RDs, the X.7 to X.9 to 9.0 comparison. That's what I could use your help with today.
    From a purely subjective perspective, I found the X.9 to be crisper and handle agressive riding/shifting better that the X.7. Both need a tune-up avery so often, but the X.9 goes longer between tunes. I've got the X.7 shifters. Can't comment on the 9.0 though.