Thread: Sram Rd

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Sram Rd

I have a SRAM x-9 med cage rd. i have found some reasonbly priced short cages for X.0 rd's, does anyone know if they will work on the x.9. i am looking at going to a short cage rd, but over $200 for a RD, thats just insane, why is there not a x.9 or x.7 with a short cage. is SRAM trying to rip us off or what. do not get me wrong, I like their products, but why only one short derailleur.... i have a 36t single chainring, and am running a 12-27 rear cog. that will be my largest cog, as I may go to a 13-23 or 13-25. Will short cage be enough?

Powder King lift jockey.
    A short cage from an X.0 should fit on your X.9 and will work with your gear combo. I think the reason they only make one short derailleur is simply because they can get smooth and crisp shifting with a mid-cage and see no reason to go even bother with making short cages, there isnt too much difference between the mid and short anyways, especially when you compare them to Shimano's. If your doing alot of freeride then go for it, it may save you a few hangers but IMO its not really necessary.
    J-bro

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I am looking for more clearance, better safe than sorry. What is the difference in legnth of the cage, from what I understand it is about 23mm, or there abouts, so almost an inch shorter. could come in handy one day. I like my shifting, but would like a little more clearance. It just seems that a short cage would be available in the lower level models. They all shift about the same. Just ashame if you want or need a short cage, you have to use Shimano, or build one with a cage from an X.0 added to an x.9 and x.7. and for the aluminum or steel lovers, a short cage would be nice insted of having a carbon one. no matter to me, just want a shorter cage.