mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Sram powerlock alternative ?

So I am in the middle of a 10 speed transformation, and trying to get the pieces together. The latest head scratcher is the news that the Sram powerlock, formerly known as a powerlink on 9 speed chains is a one time use only link I already have XX shifters and derailleurs and crank so would prefer to go Sram 1091 on the chain, as they are supposed to mate better? (marketing hype maybe?) Is there another option for a multi use link on a Sram 10 speed chain?
    Last edited by Anthem1; 11-26-2010 at 12:39 PM.

mtbr member
    KMC do a reusable 10 speed link.

g3h6o3
    Using Park master link pliers it can be removed. Using it in the roadie no problem.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Are they reuseable after being removed? Sounds like that is the downer. The euro KMC site specs the KMC link as a one time use too, may have to pony up for the connex at over $12 a piece.

Rub it............
    The Sram PowerLink is recommended to NOT be reused. Its not designed for this type of application.

However, the KMC Missing Link is or the removable link from Wipperman.

Former Bike Wrench
    IRD makes one too

I should be studying...
    I've been using the KMC on my road bike with a sram 1070 chain. I have ~ 1000 miles on it with no problem. I put a 9 speed powerlink on my bro's new X9 equipped Pivot just to measure appropriate chain lengths etc. Surprisingly, the powerlink shifts perfectly, aside from the shiny brass colored link, it is imperceptible.
    Formerly known as iceaxe

g3h6o3
    Reusing a PowerLink works... whatever the marketing says, they hold up.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

I should be studying...
    I sincerely doubt Sram's marketing gamble is going to work. Do they really think people are going to buy a new powerlock every time they want take their chain off to clean it? Especially when there are manufactures who are capable of making reusable ones. I'll be sticking with the KMC ones.
    Formerly known as iceaxe

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc
    The Sram PowerLink is recommended to NOT be reused. Its not designed for this type of application.

However, the KMC Missing Link is or the removable link from Wipperman.
    The Wipperman link is asymmetrical, and will skip on an 11T cog if you install it upside down (backwards?). So for dyslexic morons like myself, IRD or KMC are the way to go for 10 speed, as their links are both reusable and symmetrical.

For 9 speed, SRAM can be added to the list with the powerlink (as opposed to 10 speed non-reusable powerlock).

I always carry an extra on any ride. If I break a chain in the field, all I need to do is remove the busted link and its mate with mini chain tool I also carry, and with the master limk won't have to monkey around with putting a pin back in to get moving. Saves minutes and keeps your riding buds in a better mood.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

Just a flesh wound

Walking out of the woods

That is the alternative!
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.