mtbr member
    May 2004

SRAM Powerlink in Shimano chain?

Can an SRAM Powerlink be installed in a Shimano chain? If so, does this work pretty well? I'd like to keep my drivetrain all Shimano, but I would also like to be able to remove the chain easily for cleaning.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Can an SRAM Powerlink be installed in a Shimano chain? If so, does this work pretty well? I'd like to keep my drivetrain all Shimano, but I would also like to be able to remove the chain easily for cleaning.
    Yes, an you can also use the Wipperman Connex link. I haven't used the Wipperman, but a few guys have reported that it is easier to disconnect than the Powerlink (which really isn't all that bad).

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks for the tip. I'll look into the Connex.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Jenson's website description for the Connex link states that it is "only compatible with Wipperman chains".

Sounds like an attempt to discourage use with Shimano chains...can someone (Speed dub) confirm from experience that a Connex link can be easily installed in a Shimano XTR chain?

On MTBR hiatus :(
    I'll vouch for the SRAM link on a Shimano chain, but you'll have to search the forums for other users who have used the Wipperman Connex on both SRAM and Shimano chains and take their words for it. As I mentioned, others have posted success using the Connex with Shimano, but I personally haven't tried it.

mtbr member
    i never tried a conex link but i have been using the sram and the kmc powerlink on my shimano chains for at least 5 years without any problem.just make sure to use a new powerlink with a new chain. dont trie to re-use the power link.
    hey
    ho
    lets go!