banned
    Nov 2007

sram power link question-2 part

hi..I picked up a used bike,it came with a sram powerlink chain,the chain was removed and split at the pin away from the powerlink (shiamno style) I want to take it for a ride tomorrow.
    Can I just push the pin through(aka old school shimano style) and use it that was for a few days until I pick up a power link ...any worries of it breaking ?? and has anyone just used the chain that way without the powerlink for a extended period.
    next,when I do pick up a power link,whats the best way to install and remove
    many thx !!!

wyrd bi ful rd
    i believe the SRAM pins are reusable ... though not Shimano ones unless you have been lucky ...

a chain is a chain and the powerlink is only there for ease of removal, you can use an sram chain without the link ...

here is how you install the powerlink ...

20071221 power link lock MTBR FORUM.jpg

notice too that when the pin is at A position, the plates actually move further out such the link is actually 'locked', because the A slot is actually chamfered and so to unlock you will need to push the plates together so that the slot on the pins are aligned with the plate, before you push the 2 pins towards each other so that the pins will each move to the B slot to unlock ... if you know what i mean ...