Arrrghhh!!!

SRAM PG970 12-26 for mtn bike

Did a search on previous threads and couldn't find an answer.
    I've got a 9 speed XTR der with an LX cassette and am looking to lighten it up, and don't use the two biggest cogs.
    How would a 9-speed SRAM road cassette work with a 9speed Shimano mountain bike setup?
    Is this a stupid idea?
    Thanks in advance,

mtbr member
    should work ok... you may have to remove a few links off your chain (and hope that the chain is not too stretched if you're using a new SRAM cassette). FWIW, I run a SRAM r. derailleur with an XTR cassette.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    It'll work fine. I've run an Ultegra 12-27 with an XO rear derailleur. I believe the Ultegras are lighter, if you don't have the SRAM yet. I ended up going back to the 11-34 XT because I liked the noticable shift between gears. The road derailleur was too tightly spaced for my local trails and I ended up double shfting most of the time. It might be good on the right trail. Also, I missed the 11 tooth cog on the road ride to the trails, as I was spinning out in the 44 x 12 combo at times.

Arrrghhh!!!

Thanks

Thanks for the info-- good points, and I'll think further about upgrading. I didn't consider the differences between gears and how that would effect shifting. Y'know, I think I might have been better served with less gears...

1946:2006:2066

a couple of other options

First: if you're changing just to drop a bit of weight you aren't going to gain much, unless
    you are willing to spend a lot of money. However, if you are looking for different gear ratios
    you should check out Harris Cyclery http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/k7.html and scan
    down to the custom cassettes they offer. I am using the "CS914 Century 12" which has
    "12 13 15 17 19 21 24 27 30" spread and translates into a medium range with the ratios
    fairly evenly distributed. When I got it I was pleasantly surprised to find they had taken
    and Ultegra 12-27, removed the 14 and added a descrete 30. The best overall cassette
    group for MTB'ing was the XT 12-34, which is no longer available but can be had in the XTR
    line for a hefty price and will not last as long as the old XT version. The 12-34 is wide range
    and again the ratios are fairly evenly distributed.

Poke around Harris Cyclery. There are a number of interesting options for cassettes
    that wont cost you an arm and a leg.

michael
    "Be not afraid of going slowly but only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

Arrrghhh!!!

Thanks for the info

Thanks for the info from Harris-- I'll check it out.