Now with 3 more inches!

SRAM PG-990 Question

OK. I just ordered a SRAM PG-990 cassette to replace my XT. I know, the XT is supposed to last longer and be lighter, but I'm a sucker for red anodizing.

Anyway, I mistakenly got the 12-34 instead of 12-32 (probably not a bad thing, seeing as how I'm coming off a 5-month injury hiatus), and it steps 26-30-34. I think I read somewhere that the older ones jump 28-34. It has the 5 arm spider, but the SRAM site says this:

Spider Type:: Alloy, 11-32=5 11-34=6

Does that mean a six-arm spider? If not, what does it mean? I'm confused. What model year do I have? It's supposed to be the latest one. Part no. is 200-698.

Doesn't really matter I suppose, I'm just being curious.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerdog
    Spider Type:: Alloy, 11-32=5 11-34=6

Does that mean a six-arm spider? If not, what does it mean? I'm confused. What model year do I have? It's supposed to be the latest one. Part no. is 200-698.
    Looks like it has a 5 arm spider from the photos that I have seen. Maybe the 5 - 6 designation is just an ordering designation not an indication of spider arms.

Maybe how many cogs on the carrier?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

..probably out riding..
    Aug 2004
    As far as I know, only the 2006 has the red spider. The 2005 that I had this year was plain looking with a black spider but quite a bit different looking than the 2006.