Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid

SRAM PF30 BB installation

I'm about to build up my first bike with PF30 so I'm scratching my head on the instructions I see for installing the SRAM PF30 BB.

Everyone says to use the bushings supplied with the park BBT-30.3 tool (Park Tool Co. BBT-30.3 : Bottom Bracket Tool Set for BB30 and PF30 : Bottom Bracket) but looking at those bushings it seems like they are really meant for bare BB30 bearings. The concern I have is SRAM's PF30 BB has these seals over the bearings that are comprised of two pieces... a hard rubber like ring that appears be captured between the bearing and the plastic housing and a center piece that you can remove. No one mentions these captured seals, I suspect because they've been added to newer versions of PF30 BBs. Do they need to be removed before using the park bushings to press the BB? I'm thinking they need to come out, otherwise the park bushings will crush them when I press the BB but I'm also not sure they won't be mangled if I try to pry them out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SRAM PF30 BB installation-p1010220.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Do you have the installation bushings? They work great and are designed to engage the metal part of the bearing races to guide/push the bearings into the shell. There shouldn't be any risk to the rubber seals.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by Adroit Rider View Post
    Do you have the installation bushings? They work great and are designed to engage the metal part of the bearing races to guide/push the bearings into the shell. There shouldn't be any risk to the rubber seals.
    No I don't have the park tool, but I have similar bearing presses (Enduro) so I understand how they are supposed to work. The key feature being they press evenly across both races of the bearing so as not damage it.

Take a look at the picture I posted, you'll see the bearing and its races are mostly covered by this raised additional rubber seal (pointed to by red arrow). Since only a portion of the inner race of the bearing is exposed I don't see how Park's tool will work without crushing this rubber seal. There isn't a flat surface for the face of the tool to push on unless I was to pry out these seals.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    The raised rubber seal is part of the preload mechanism and the pressure the crank puts on it will probably be greater than the installation tool.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Adroit Rider View Post
    The raised rubber seal is part of the preload mechanism and the pressure the crank puts on it will probably be greater than the installation tool.
    what he said, but hit up Enduro, they are really good about info/help and getting thier products and tools to work for ya.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/