mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Sram PC-991 vs Campagnolo Record c9 vs Wipperman Connex 904

Hi !

I am racing some amateur 4x and don't know which chain should I choose.
    I've heard that Campagnolo is much more durable than Sram - but won't it break within one (or two) seasons? Is it strong enough for gate starts?

Any feedback about Wipperman Connex 904 - strong, durable?

Thanks for any advice
    Brooce
    Last edited by Brooce; 03-02-2010 at 12:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Entirely depends on your power

Campy chains are really as strong as any....problem is that their joining pin is specific to campy. Haven't heard of any breaking, and I've got 2 on XC mtb's now.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

Former Bike Wrench
    When it comes to pin pull strength, KMC X9 and Shimano XT (Hg 93) or XTR (CN 7701) are as strong as they get...exceeding SRAM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    The strength standard for derailleur chains is sufficiently high that no human will ever break chains because of excess strength. That's true of just about any chain regardless of quality. Remember folks are using these same chains on tandems and other applications involving far higher loads than most riders could ever hope to generate.

What breaks chains is either bad closures, or excess side pressure and plate damage, both caused by sloppy shifting under power. Occasionally chains are also damaged by things like over-derailing and getting snagged and crushed, between cassette and frame, or chainring and chainstay.

With decent habits any chain should last until it wears out. Other than the issue of sprocket wear, chains could last 2-4 times beyond the point where good practices dictate replacing them. My personal record form the days of cheap freewheels is almost 4% stretch, before it just wouldn't run anymore.

My point is if you're worrying about chain breakage, don't worry about which chain, but focus on how you're causing the problem.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

Formerly of Kent
    in my experience, Campy chains in the 10s variety last far longer than Shimano, KMC and SRAM chains (in order of decreasing durability).

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks for answers.

And what can you tell about... Wipperman Connex 904? Strong, durable?