Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Sram I-motion 9 Internal Geared Hub?

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  hanjin 
#1 ·
Anyone have any information on WHERE to BUY an I-Motion 9 Non-Brake Hub NOW?, i have searched, no one has one in Stock nor has any anticipation of getting one anytime soon, a US or EURO Purchase is fine...... ideas? THANKS!

#5 ·
UN-COG-KNEE-TOE said:
...... ideas?...
Get an Alfine while you can, who knows when there'll be more IM9s here in the US. I made a spreadsheet with gear inch charts for the Alfine vs IM9. The only real difference is that the IM9 has an extra high gear. The IM9 is constrained to a primary gear between 1.7 and 1.9, this sets the range.

IM9 with 1.7 primary gear (34/20) gives a range from 27 inches to 90 inches.
Alfine with 1.7 primary gear (34/20) gives a range from 26 gear inches to 80 gear inches

IM9 with 1.9 primary gear (34/20) gives a range from 30 inches to 102 inches.
Alfine with 1.9 primary gear (38/20) gives a range from 29 gear inches to 89 gear inches

These are the limits set by the SRAM with 29er wheels. I don't know what Shimano's limits are.

Alfine has thumb shifter, IM9 only has grip shift. Alfine w/shifter cost $250, IM9 w/shifter cost $450. That's a big difference in price for an extra high gear, esp since a MTB doesn't have much use for the extra high gear. I've purchased both the IM9 and the Alfine, I'm going to give both a try and decide which one shifts better. If the Alfine shifts better too...I might have an IM9 to sell :D

#7 ·
alfine hub

pursuiter said:
Get an Alfine while you can, who knows when there'll be more IM9s here in the US. I made a spreadsheet with gear inch charts for the Alfine vs IM9. The only real difference is that the IM9 has an extra high gear. The IM9 is constrained to a primary gear between 1.7 and 1.9, this sets the range.

IM9 with 1.7 primary gear (34/20) gives a range from 27 inches to 90 inches.
Alfine with 1.7 primary gear (34/20) gives a range from 26 gear inches to 80 gear inches

IM9 with 1.9 primary gear (34/20) gives a range from 30 inches to 102 inches.
Alfine with 1.9 primary gear (38/20) gives a range from 29 gear inches to 89 gear inches

These are the limits set by the SRAM with 29er wheels. I don't know what Shimano's limits are.

Alfine has thumb shifter, IM9 only has grip shift. Alfine w/shifter cost $250, IM9 w/shifter cost $450. That's a big difference in price for an extra high gear, esp since a MTB doesn't have much use for the extra high gear. I've purchased both the IM9 and the Alfine, I'm going to give both a try and decide which one shifts better. If the Alfine shifts better too...I might have an IM9 to sell :D
Thanks for the Alfine info - i would try to buy either HUB for my build - where did YOU get your Alfine? ...also - is there much weight difference between the Sram and Alfine hubs and did you happen to check them? i can not find weights on EITHER HUB.

#8 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.