mtbr member

New question here. Sram I-motion 9 Internal Geared Hub?

Anyone have any information on WHERE to BUY an I-Motion 9 Non-Brake Hub NOW?, i have searched, no one has one in Stock nor has any anticipation of getting one anytime soon, a US or EURO Purchase is fine...... ideas? THANKS!

mtbr member

mtbr member

out of stock

Quote Originally Posted by biketuna

Thanks - but already checked there - they have NONE in stock.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    A Google search of German sites brings up a few retailers who *appear* to have them in stock (I don't read German, and they don't translate to English).
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

Another Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by UN-COG-KNEE-TOE
    ...... ideas?...
    Get an Alfine while you can, who knows when there'll be more IM9s here in the US. I made a spreadsheet with gear inch charts for the Alfine vs IM9. The only real difference is that the IM9 has an extra high gear. The IM9 is constrained to a primary gear between 1.7 and 1.9, this sets the range.

IM9 with 1.7 primary gear (34/20) gives a range from 27 inches to 90 inches.
    Alfine with 1.7 primary gear (34/20) gives a range from 26 gear inches to 80 gear inches

IM9 with 1.9 primary gear (34/20) gives a range from 30 inches to 102 inches.
    Alfine with 1.9 primary gear (38/20) gives a range from 29 gear inches to 89 gear inches

These are the limits set by the SRAM with 29er wheels. I don't know what Shimano's limits are.

Alfine has thumb shifter, IM9 only has grip shift. Alfine w/shifter cost $250, IM9 w/shifter cost $450. That's a big difference in price for an extra high gear, esp since a MTB doesn't have much use for the extra high gear. I've purchased both the IM9 and the Alfine, I'm going to give both a try and decide which one shifts better. If the Alfine shifts better too...I might have an IM9 to sell

mtbr member

euro bike sites

Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate
    A Google search of German sites brings up a few retailers who *appear* to have them in stock (I don't read German, and they don't translate to English).

Thanks Nate - been researching a bit through the bike sites in Europe.. hoping to track 1 down and Buy it.

mtbr member

alfine hub

Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter
    Get an Alfine while you can, who knows when there'll be more IM9s here in the US. I made a spreadsheet with gear inch charts for the Alfine vs IM9. The only real difference is that the IM9 has an extra high gear. The IM9 is constrained to a primary gear between 1.7 and 1.9, this sets the range.

IM9 with 1.7 primary gear (34/20) gives a range from 27 inches to 90 inches.
    Alfine with 1.7 primary gear (34/20) gives a range from 26 gear inches to 80 gear inches

IM9 with 1.9 primary gear (34/20) gives a range from 30 inches to 102 inches.
    Alfine with 1.9 primary gear (38/20) gives a range from 29 gear inches to 89 gear inches

These are the limits set by the SRAM with 29er wheels. I don't know what Shimano's limits are.

Alfine has thumb shifter, IM9 only has grip shift. Alfine w/shifter cost $250, IM9 w/shifter cost $450. That's a big difference in price for an extra high gear, esp since a MTB doesn't have much use for the extra high gear. I've purchased both the IM9 and the Alfine, I'm going to give both a try and decide which one shifts better. If the Alfine shifts better too...I might have an IM9 to sell

Thanks for the Alfine info - i would try to buy either HUB for my build - where did YOU get your Alfine? ...also - is there much weight difference between the Sram and Alfine hubs and did you happen to check them? i can not find weights on EITHER HUB.

Another Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by UN-COG-KNEE-TOE
    Thanks for the Alfine info - i would try to buy either HUB for my build - where did YOU get your Alfine? ...also - is there much weight difference between the Sram and Alfine hubs and did you happen to check them? i can not find weights on EITHER HUB.
    buy Alfine @ http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/shimano-alfine.html

Alfine is lighter: Weight: Alfine 1590g, i-MOTION-9 1980g

check this site for a comparo:
    http://hubstripping.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter
    buy Alfine @ http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/shimano-alfine.html

Alfine is lighter: Weight: Alfine 1590g, i-MOTION-9 1980g

check this site for a comparo:
    http://hubstripping.wordpress.com/

this is great - THANKS AGAIN!

Another Retro Grouch
    Just went out for a little 3 mile leg stretcher before sushi. These things are a gas, have fun with your project

mtbr member
    One on ebay right now.

Linky