Sexiest mtbr in Grundy
    Apr 2006

SRAM Hollow Pin Chain

Hey, I feel completely stupid but here it goes. I was trying to install my new hollowpin chain today and i measured it and got the correct length but when i went to size it and push the pin out with my tool it pushed the pin out of the first side but then it stopped and no matter hard hard i try to torque it it will not budge. I know i have to get that darn pin out but i am at a loss for how to go about it. Anybody who has experience with these dang chains or anybody who can give some advice would be appreciated. I have worked with Shimano chains before and have had no problem. I was wondering if this little problem was somethign associated with this particular chain since it is different than most, being the hollow pin design. Thanks in advance for the help.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Just bought the same chain and am reluctant to size it as of yet because of the hollow link as well. Hopefully someone will chime in here on this. Hope it does not require a special chain tool. I did notice that the instructions show a rendering of chain tool that I do not have.

mtbr member
    I also have one coming in the next couple of days. I assumed the regual chain tool worked. Perhaps take a pin from another non hollow pin chain and line that up in series to get the pin you want out out.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I've got a Park CT-3 and have experienced no difficulties cutting the 991 hollowpin (3-4 of them now).

mtbr member
    Excellent. That's the tool I have as well so it looks like I'm in business. Thanks Bear.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Very good Bear. I second that thanks !

ups and downs
    Many chain tools have a stop to prevent you from pushing the pin all the way out, because of course that becomes a problem if you're trying to use the chain tool to fix a chain without a master link or power link type chain connector. With the chain out of the tool check and see if the pin can travel any further than it can with the chain in the tool.

ups and downs
    ditto'd
    Last edited by rockyuphill; 06-17-2007 at 07:09 AM.

Sexiest mtbr in Grundy
    Apr 2006
    Hey guys, thanks for the replies. It turns our that my Park CT-5 just wasn't cut out for the job. I took it to my LBS and they used another tool, I think it was the CT-3 and it came out just fine. I guess I'm gonna have to upgrade!

mtbr member
    I just installed mine with the big blue tool. No problems. In fact it was just about the easiest pin I've ever pushed out...

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I just installed the same chain and the pin came out fine!
    What could have happend, that the pin on the chain tool,while pushing out the pin on the chain since it is hollow went inside and enlarged the diameter of the pin on the chain and it got stuck!
    Good thing it came out!

sadly, like the element
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfeinstein
    I just installed the same chain and the pin came out fine!
    What could have happend, that the pin on the chain tool,while pushing out the pin on the chain since it is hollow went inside and enlarged the diameter of the pin on the chain and it got stuck!
    Good thing it came out!
    Probably, then you get to push it out the other side.