mtbr member
    Feb 2008

SRAM GX rear dr - diff btw 10 vs 11 - shifter?

So - quick question

IS the GX rear der 10 or 11 speed - depending on the shifter? or is it 2 distinct products that only have the 10 or 11 speed range?

thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kamper11 View Post
    So - quick question

IS the GX rear der 10 or 11 speed - depending on the shifter? or is it 2 distinct products that only have the 10 or 11 speed range?

thanks
    radically different. GX 2x10 rear derailleur is a re-badged X9, same as was produced from 2011-2015.

GX 11 speed rear derailleurs have all the features that debuted those years ago with XX1: revised cable entry, narrow-wide jockey wheels, etc

I own both. I'm very sure.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    OK - appreciate that feedback. makes sense

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    radically different. GX 2x10 rear derailleur is a re-badged X9, same as was produced from 2011-2015.

GX 11 speed rear derailleurs have all the features that debuted those years ago with XX1: revised cable entry, narrow-wide jockey wheels, etc

I own both. I'm very sure.
    Hi, I'm having trouble getting smooth shifting with the GX 11-speed.
    I was fiddling around with all the settings (barrel adjuster on the shifter, limit screws, B-screw) and might have muddled it-fixed so doesn't falls off the lowest cog (42t) anymore, but won't go into highest cog (10t). I've adjusted the RD settings on my other bike before (Rival 1) and it was much easier to see the derailleur move. Can't seem to see what is happening with the GX. Barrel adjuster confusing as well.
    Can't seem to find any good instructional videos on the GX; the ones out are on older derailleurs. Should I look for ones on XX1? I'm currently reading the manuals, but any tips are appreciated.

RAKC
    What do you mean falling off the 42t???

And it's a rear derailleur, they all pretty much get set up the same way. Use youtube and park tools website. They explain how to set up a rear derailleur.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

bike tester
    Had the same problem with the GX on my stumpy 6fattie. even with the low limit screw removed, it wouldnt move far enough inboard to use the biggest cog. switched with the X01 from my ebike and they both work great now. must be some kind of boost chainline/hanger thickness issue.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I watched a bunch. I think what I messed up was I over-tightened the barrel adjuster, which is on the shifter in this case (not the rd). Got confused, and then tried to compensate with limit screw. The b-screw may not be optimal as well. Will try again tonight.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I got the Zinn mtb maintenance book from library. Informative. Hope it gets me out if my mess. Will try tonight. (YouTube's have been helpful with other bike rd and other issues, but not helpful with this one.)