mtbr member
    Jan 2009

SRAM GX to Eagle conversion - any parts interchangable?

Hey folks.
    My new bike (Stumpy 6fattie) came with GX 28T crankset and SRAM XG 11-42 cassette (11 speed). My bad knees would prefer even higher climbing gears (sadly enough). I was just wondering if I were to convert to Eagle, would any of the parts be inter-changable to save on cost, such as the 28T crankset and shifter?
    Any other suggestions on how I can get a better climbing gear on my new 1x mid-fat? My other bike has a 36/24 crankset and I swapped out one of the cogs on my cassette to an 11/42 (from an 11/36). That gear range on that other bike is pretty close to the gear range that I'd get from Eagle (I believe). If I understand correctly, the SRAM cassette on my new bike is one piece so I cannot simply change a cog on the cassette, I would probably need to put a 26T front cassette, right?
    Thanks in advance for any advice!

mtbr member
    Supposedly...no. My understanding is Eagle is only *supposed* to work with Eagle but I have read that Wolf Creek claims their products work fine with Eagle. Here are a few ideas for you though I've personally tried none of them...

1) I know SRAM claims that a 28 tooth chainring is the smallest you can go but I have read about more than one person running a 26 tooth chainring, obviously not a SRAM ring.

2) Try one of the "all the rage" OVAL rings that are there. I know Wolf Tooth and Absolute Black are the major players. Supposed to make a 30 tooth feel like a 28 tooth on climbs.

3) But one of the aftermarket add-on 50 tooth chainrings that are out there like the one from One-Up OneUp Shark 50T Sprocket Kit - Review - Pinkbike

4) E-13 makes a 9-46 11 speed cassette you could try...maybe with the OVAL 28 tooth?
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Thanks for the info. The Shark 50T looks like a great thing, although I don't think I can run that with my SRAM cassette (which is XD or whatever that term is).

mtbr member
    You most economical route will be going with a 26T. Race Face makes a direct mount that will fit your GX crank. You can find it for under 50 bucks.

To go Eagle...you'll need the cassette, derailleur, shifter, and chain. Your current chainring should work.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    You most economical route will be going with a 26T. Race Face makes a direct mount that will fit your GX crank. You can find it for under 50 bucks.

To go Eagle...you'll need the cassette, derailleur, shifter, and chain. Your current chainring should work.
    The Race Face 26T looks like a much cheaper option! I wasn't sure if my GX crankset was 1 piece. Those gear calculators don't make much sense to me, but I'm guessing that the 26T would make a noticeable difference for climbing (but still not like my 24 front 40 rear on my other bike). How much of a difference do you think the 26T would make both on the top and bottom end?

mtbr member
    I read somewhere that going down to a 26T is like going with a ~45T in the rear. I just put a 26T on my GF's 6F. Pedaling it on the street...I can feel a difference in the low gear. We're going to ride this weekend...I'll see if she can tell a difference.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    28/42 is 0.666 is what you have now
    26/42 is 0.619 is cheapest
    24/40 is 0.600 is your other bike

If you aren't at max on your old bike at 24/40 then you should be fine most days with 26/42.
    I like bikes

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by yzedf View Post
    28/42 is 0.666 is what you have now
    26/42 is 0.619 is cheapest
    24/40 is 0.600 is your other bike

If you aren't at max on your old bike at 24/40 then you should be fine most days with 26/42.

What do those numbers mean?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post

Which Race Face chainring is compatible with the GX crankset? It seems like the ones I've seen say they are compatible with Cinch compatible drivetrains which I'm not sure GX is? Would this work?

Race Face Narrow Wide Cinch Direct Mount Chainring | Backcountry.com

mtbr member
    The one you linked is for a Cinch crank.

You need a SRAM version.

Race Face Narrow Wide DM Chain Ring 26T-30T SRAM

North Shore Billet has a Boost one.

1x11 Variable Tooth Direct Mount Chainrings for SRAM cranks | North Shore Billet

I think the Race Face one will have a better chainline in the low gears.
    Last edited by RS VR6; 10-21-2016 at 12:05 AM.