mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! SRAM Grip Shifters on Shimano Drivetrain & SRAM Drivetrain....

Hi, I need some feedback on these set up, A SRAM Grip Shifter on Shimano Drivetrain, I know the SRAM on SRAM may have a smoother shifting but I am interested in the other set-up as my new bike comes w/ Shimano Drivetrain. Does anyone has any experience w/ SRAM Grip sifters on Shimano Drivetrain? Does it shift smoothly? Any feedback will do,

Thanks

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Sonix BOOM!
    Hi, I need some feedback on these set up, A SRAM Grip Shifter on Shimano Drivetrain, I know the SRAM on SRAM may have a smoother shifting but I am interested in the other set-up as my new bike comes w/ Shimano Drivetrain. Does anyone has any experience w/ SRAM Grip sifters on Shimano Drivetrain? Does it shift smoothly? Any feedback will do,

Thanks
    While SRAM and Shimano front shifters are interchangeable between SRAM and Shimano front derailleurs, the rear shifters are not. Shimano RD's need Shimano shifters, SRAM RD's need SRAM shifters. The one exception to this is SRAM makes a couple of rear shifters (Attack Trigger and Attack Gripshift) that are compatible with Shimano RDs rather than SRAM RDs.

If you want a SRAM gripshift to go with your Shimano RD, you need to get the Attack Grip Shift
    http://www.sram.com/en/srammountain/...istshifter.php

I love gripshifters

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    .... SRAM makes a couple of rear shifters (Attack Trigger and Attack Gripshift) that are compatible with Shimano RDs rather than SRAM RDs.

If you want a SRAM gripshift to go with your Shimano RD, you need to get the Attack Grip Shift
    http://www.sram.com/en/srammountain/...istshifter.php

I love gripshifters
    Besides these, you might find other "new old stock" SRAM shifters made for Shimano RDs. The easy way to tell is that SRAM shifters for Shimano have/had names, like Attack, Rocket, MRX etc. whereas SRAM shifters for Sram RDs have numbers like X.9, X.9, 7.0 5.0, etc.

Lots' of folks are happily using SRAM shifters, either trigger, or twist with their Shimano derailleurs.

One other consideration, on twist grips, SRAM offers the choice of index front with 3 clicks like Shimano, or "Micro-index" front which doesn't index and is user trimable. Not all shifters come/came both ways, but it's another option to consider.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

Former Bike Wrench
    I've used SRAM Attack twist shifters many years ago and they work great with Shimano rear derailleurs...my only complaint is the "clicks" are closer together than the SRAM on SRAM twist shifters and I found myself shifting two gears at a time often.

BTW-I used the old 8 speed SRT-800 (X-Ray) and SRT-600 many years ago and they suck compared to the Attack just in case you were going 8 speed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Until now I have been using SRAM (I think they were MRX or something) gripshifters with Shimano Deore derailleurs (3x8) with no issues what so ever. I have not used shimano - shimano so can not compare, but once set up, I never had any mis-shifts.

I have recently bought a set of Attack trigger shifters and am in the process of fitting these... so far got the back one dialed in and it works too... no probs.

Seem to be much cheaper that Shimano also!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY
    SRAM offers the choice of index front with 3 clicks like Shimano, or "Micro-index" front which doesn't index and is user trimable. Not all shifters come/came both ways, but it's another option to consider.
    Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but just a correction.

The Sram Attack front shifter has 9 stops in it. There's 8 clicks and the last position where the shifter was resting. Therefore, if your front derailleur is rubbing a little, you can adjust the shifter 2 times in between each gear. Ttyl, Fahn

PS. The weight of these bad boys is 200g. The X0's are 196g.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFahn
    Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but just a correction.

The Sram Attack front shifter has 9 stops in it. There's 8 clicks and the last position where the shifter was resting. Therefore, if your front derailleur is rubbing a little, you can adjust the shifter 2 times in between each gear. Ttyl, Fahn
    A I think the Attack trigger shifter has only three positions. Maybe that is what he meant?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    A I think the Attack trigger shifter has only three positions. Maybe that is what he meant?
    Word. The trigger has 3 stops. The Gripshift has 8 clicks + the resting spot.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    This is a subject im interested in also. I recently purchased a set of bars that had sram rocket shifters and wasnt sure if I could use them with shimano deraillures.