On your left.
    Jan 2004

SRAM Force rear deraileur on a MTB?

Would a SRAM Force rear deraileur work on a mountain bike - using SL-M760 shifters?? My best understanding of the rear der. is that it is just a spring taking up the slack given out or taken up by the shifters. BTW, I'm interested because they are light. I currently use a Dura-Ace rear der.
    M

Meh.
    SRAM uses a different pull ratio than Shimano. So Shimano shifters will not work. Though both the SRAM road and mountain derailleurs claim a 1:1 pull ratio, they are slightly different.

Why not use s x.9 or a x.0? They're both available in different cage lengths.

On your left.
    Jan 2004

lighter and cheaper

As is typical, the Force RD is lighter and less expensive than the X.O. Same deal with Dura-Ace and XTR.

Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    SRAM uses a different pull ratio than Shimano. So Shimano shifters will not work. Though both the SRAM road and mountain derailleurs claim a 1:1 pull ratio, they are slightly different.

Why not use s x.9 or a x.0? They're both available in different cage lengths.
    M

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Will not work. SRAM road and mtb derailleurs are not interchangeable.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Motivated
    As is typical, the Force RD is lighter and less expensive ...
    Also may have reliability issues- check out roadbikereview.com there is are threads on SRAM road derailluers having a piece of the composite body break and the tension spring for the cage unwinds itself sending the cage into the spokes.
    I bike; therefore, I work

Members who have read this thread: 0