mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Sram ESP comptabile with Shimano Dyna-Sys

I have heard that supposedly Sram ESP shifters ( 8 and 9 speed ) are compatible with 10 speed shimano dyna-sys derailleurs. I decided to check it - here is the result:

Sram ESP 7.0 Grip Shift with Shimano Dyna-Sys Zee Derailleur - YouTube

It appears to work.
    8 speed ESP shifter mated to Zee shifts 8 speed cassette
    thus
    9 speed ESP shifter mated to dyna-sys deraileur should shift 9 speed cassette
    or
    10 speed dyna-sys shifter mated to ESP rear derailleur should shift 10 cogs

So - something for all those who want to use the clutch mech without the need to "upgrade" to 10 speeds/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by uzurpator View Post
    I have heard that supposedly Sram ESP shifters ( 8 and 9 speed ) are compatible with 10 speed shimano dyna-sys derailleurs. I decided to check it - here is the result:

Sram ESP 7.0 Grip Shift with Shimano Dyna-Sys Zee Derailleur - YouTube

It appears to work.
    8 speed ESP shifter mated to Zee shifts 8 speed cassette
    thus
    9 speed ESP shifter mated to dyna-sys deraileur should shift 9 speed cassette
    or
    10 speed dyna-sys shifter mated to ESP rear derailleur should shift 10 cogs

So - something for all those who want to use the clutch mech without the need to "upgrade" to 10 speeds/
    10 speed SRAM shifters (road and MTB) are not the same pull ratio as their 8 and 9 speed stuff.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    10 speed SRAM shifters (road and MTB) are not the same pull ratio as their 8 and 9 speed stuff.
    Never claimed they do. However - if 8 speed SRAM ESP shifter works correctly on 8 speed cassette with Shimano Dyna Sys mech, then the reverse should also be true - Shimano Dyna-Sys shifter should shift ESP derailleur over 10 speed cassette.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by uzurpator View Post
    Never claimed they do. However - if 8 speed SRAM ESP shifter works correctly on 8 speed cassette with Shimano Dyna Sys mech, then the reverse should also be true - Shimano Dyna-Sys shifter should shift ESP derailleur over 10 speed cassette.
    Well your not the first one to make this claim, however I've yet to see any definitive proof that it works on 10 speed.

A video showing the shifter, derailleur, and 10 speed cassette and it all working would be the proof...
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    This is an experiment I will be doing once all the parts for my new ride arrive

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Today I did a test with 9 speed X.0 with Zee DH over 9 speed cassette. Result:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz5d7X5QDRs

mtbr member
    May 2006

Good job!

D'oh!

I just bought a new 10 speed chain, cassette and shifters so I could buy a Shimano clutch derailleur. I already had a brand new unopened Sram 9 speed cassette + chain waiting for next season. Having known this before I would have just bought a new Zee or SLX rear derailleur.

I guess I'll have the choice between 10 speed and 9 speed now.

1:18
    This is amazing! Thanks for sharing and posting this. One of the best Frankensetups I encountered

How'd you rate the setup process for the Zee derailleur? Is it more delicate than setting up Sram 9s only?

I'm curious how long would the derailler setting "last" - in my experience, Sram is less prone for smaller mis-adjustments than Shimano due to lower ratio.

mtbr member
    I will test this one tomorrow for sure

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I run SRAMano ZeeX-7 on my commuturd bike. It works really well. The derailleur shift ratios are just coincidentally the same.

And corvette, you set it up like any other derailleur.

Put it on, and thread the chain through. Set the high limit and put shifter in high gear. Pull cable taut and attach to derailleur. Bed in cable and then tune the thing and you're good. And dont forget that low limit and B adjustment.