banned

New question here. SRAM Chains: Still Using Them?

A couple years ago SRAM rolled out their redesign of their chains that were originally based on the SACHS designs.

In my experience, the newer SRAM chains didn't hold up to torque as well, shifted as well, or resisted breakage. The brand I use now has kept me free of these symptoms and was a brand a few years ago I never thought I'd use, especially from going through the consumer reviews here- KMC.

The question I'm posing is if anyone else has noted the newer gen SRAM chains to perform not as well as the past generation?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I acquired a bike fitted with a serviced drivetrain fitted with a SRAM 991 chain. It skipped and jumped. Went to the local bike shop and they said that "SRAM had had a bad batch". Tried again. More or less worked.

I bought a job lot of 3 x SRAM 991 chains from Chain Reaction. Seemed like a bargain. Every one caused mis-shifting that could not be cured without changing to a different brand chain.

I now run DA/XTR chains with SRAM Powerlinks on all my bikes. This combination has never given me a moment's trouble and I won't go back to SRAM in a hurry.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    I hadn't really thought about it too much, but I guess I have pretty much stopped using SRAM chains. In fact, the only bad shifter in my stable has a SRAM chain on it.

The FSA chains (KMC) have been shifting perfectly for me and the finish seems nicer as well.

JMH

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Switched to FSA a year or two ago and haven't looked back. Out of maybe fifty different KMC chains I've installed in that time, had only TWO which failed in use.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    All 4 of my bikes have SRAM 971's. No issues in the past year.
    thx, Phred
    I know my parents hated me, because my bath toys were a toaster and a radio.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Been using 991's for a couple years with no problems. No skipping or unexplainable bad shifting. Broke one but it was way past being due for replacement along with the cassette/rings anyway.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Now that you mention it, I have a sram 991 on my older bike, it has not stretched or broke and it's been over five years. However, my newer bike, I've had 4 PC 991's on it. I guess they aren't as good anymore. I still use them, but when this one breaks, I may get something else.

nnn
    mtbr member
    KMC 8 speeders for me, I used to chase around for NOS Sachs chains which were awesome but now the effort and cost isn't worth it , a top of the range 8 speed KMC is a lot of chain for the same price. I still use SRAM powerlinks from my sachs chains though!
    "Life begins at 140" Richard Burns
    http://www.nikolay-k.com

LCW
    mtbr member
    recently switched from a Shimano HG53 to a SRAM PC991 and the SRAM is WAY better as far as shift quality and smoothness goes... it was that noticeable

i just got the regular 991, but there's also the hollow-pin (lighter) and the cross-rivet (stronger) versions i'm curious about...

cheers

Arrrghhh!!!

Cross step is good

I got a cross-step a while back and it has been great. Smooth, strong and seems well made. I'm not a big guy (170lbs loaded up) but I have broken previous chains on occasion. I had read good things about the cross-step so I figured it'd be worth the shot. So far, so good.
    The great use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it.
    William James

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Sram 991 here with no problems in the last 2 or 3 years. I think I'll try the hollow pin next.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Using a 991 hollowlink here. No issues on it at all at 1200 miles and counting.

I had a KMC X9SL on my bike which lasted all of 15 miles before I twisted 4 links on one ride. That's one chain I woudnt recommend, but YMMV.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by petercarm
    I acquired a bike fitted with a serviced drivetrain fitted with a SRAM 991 chain. It skipped and jumped. Went to the local bike shop and they said that "SRAM had had a bad batch". Tried again. More or less worked.

I bought a job lot of 3 x SRAM 991 chains from Chain Reaction. Seemed like a bargain. Every one caused mis-shifting that could not be cured without changing to a different brand chain.

I now run DA/XTR chains with SRAM Powerlinks on all my bikes. This combination has never given me a moment's trouble and I won't go back to SRAM in a hurry.
    I should point out that up until my experience with these (presumed bad) PC991 chains, I have not ever had an issue with chains. That goes back over 16 years of mountain biking and 21 years serious road biking (predominantly Sachs Sedis chains BITD). The poor performance of the PC 991s from Chain Reaction was a real wake up call that bad components can creep through the quality control.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    da/xtr are often on sale at performance for about 25 bucks..paired with a powerlink...just picked one up and no complaints

Hazzah!
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by petercarm
    same here...never going back..

Nice no rass
    SRAM on all 4 bikes here as well. No problems at all in 3 years. I put a new chain on every Spring to start the season and (knock on wood) have never had shifting or breakage issues with any of them.

MTB Addict
    Jun 2007
    I'm running SRAM. Used a PC870 with a SRAM PG830 cassette, then went 9 speed (recently). PC991 with XT cassette. No issues so far, both combos shift great, although due to new shifters/derailer, the new setup is crisper. Both however, were/are like butter, the old one actually shifted better with a bit of load.

Nightmare on Lyrik st. VI
    3 PC 951's here, no problems. I've noticed that they stretch less than the Shimano HG-73 that came stock with the bike.

Come on, dare me!
    I'm running PC991 Hollow pin on my Stumpjumper FSR because they're lighter than the Dura-Ace/XTR and easier to maintain/repair (Power link). I had no problem with skipping or jumping to date, but I broke two of them in less than one year. Hopefully, the second one was repairable (the first was twisted and torn). This particular model (Hollow pin) seems to be a bit more fragile than the Shimano XTR I used to have, but it's not enough to steer me away from choosing SRAM chains, although I'm a big Shimano fan for drivetrain parts.