mtbr member
    Jan 2005

are SRAM chains not durable?

hey...i've been using the SRAM low pricepoint chain on my singel pivot bike..it just seems like these chains don't hold up very well...i get like 500 miles and the thing is pretty slack and has a lot of sideplay to it

i know that this could be a result of how i reide my bike, but it just seems like they are low budget...are the low pricepoint shimano chains better quality? i bought the SRAM because of the powerlink easyness...but now i dont care if i have to use a chain tool every once in a while

i just want a good quality chain that will last at least twice as long

any thoughts would be appreciated
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

banned
    I don't think the new SRAM chains are very good. I tried KMC and I've been blown away by how well they last and how well they perform. I am used to snapping chains a few times between changes and more towards the end. So far, I've been riding more than ever and the chain isn't stretched yet and I have not snapped it yet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    i didn't know about KMC, i'll check them out as well as the mid-to-high range Shimano

can you recall the model KMC your having luck with?

thanks

(i'm gonna re-do my drive with some good stuff this winter)
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

banned
    z9000. I think I paid like 14 USD for it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    forgot about the reviews here...after checking out the KMC, i think i'll steer clear of it, no offense. it's reviews were all over the place, tending toward self-immolation

but that said, no chain appeared to be off the charts in terms of excellent reviews, which says something about how much abuse chains undergo in thier everyday life. i guess you get what you pay for as higher end chains get better reviews...looks like sachs chains might be something to try, wonder how available they are

banned
    I saw the reviews of KMC myself and steered clear of them for years. There's a thread here I went though and several reliable sources (dealers included) pushed for KMC. I am happy I tried them and that they turned themselves around because their old stuff was ****.

Former Bike Wrench
    I've kind of had hit or miss with SRAM chains over the years. One will last a long time with no issues only to have the next one (same model) wear out quickly, twist a link, seize up, or snap (so far SRAM chains are the only chains I've ever done this to). My personal favorite has been the Shimano CN 7701 Dura-Ace/XTR chain with a SRAM Power Link Gold for easy removal. I'm a SRAM guy (I use their derailluers and cassette on my mountain bike), but this chain beats the pants off SRAM chains as far as shifting performance and durability.

mtbr member
    I went through a rash of broken SRAM chains last summer. I think I broke 4-5 on two separate bikes, all of them within a few rides of putting them on. Then it magically cleared up and I've had no problems on either bike. I haven't noticed them stretching faster than Shimano.

i am, therefore, i ride
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    I've kind of had hit or miss with SRAM chains over the years. One will last a long time with no issues only to have the next one (same model) wear out quickly, twist a link, seize up, or snap.......
    Same thing here...... I used the PC971 and had to replace it 2x in one season. Both times I broke a pin (not the powerlink) during a race. Replaced it with 991 with hollow pins and I've been using it for a year now and no problems at all.
    "Life is good..... enjoy it !!!!!"